Putting Two and Two Together

Tyler's P.O.V:

Work was dragging by slower than ever. Being that it was the middle of the day on a Wednesday, there weren’t many people out roaming the mall today. I hadn’t helped more than 2 people in the entire 3 hours that I had been here.

I was sitting behind the counter, drinking a Rockstar and flipping through an AP magazine. I turned the page and a familiar ginger caught my eye. I smiled and paused to read the caption that was below the picture. As my eyes moved to the next page my sights landed on a familiar tall, tattooed man. I choked on my energy drink, almost spitting it out everywhere.

“You okay out there?” my co-worker, Ryan, hollered from the back room.

“Mhhhmmmm,” I managed to reply as I coughed.

Austin Carlile…….of course!! That’s why he looked so familiar. I should’ve put 2 and 2 together on that one. Alan is in Of Mice and Men…..and he is hanging out with a guy named Austin. Man, I was such a dumbass for not figuring that out sooner. You would think I would start to fangirl and freak out over the fact that I had met THE Austin Carlile, but that wasn’t really my style. I had known Alan all these years, and having him around has taught me to act normal around those people.

No, instead I was mortified that I had almost beaten him with my guitar while practically naked.

I heard my phone ringing and I pulled it out of my pocket, sighing deeply as I saw my boyfriend’s picture on the screen.

“Hello,” I answered, trying not to sound too annoyed.

“Tyler, where are you?” He asked angrily.

“Um, I’m at work…..” I said, confused as to why he was acting like this….again.

“I texted you last night. Why didn’t you text me back,” he asked.

“I was asleep. Listen, Kody, I’m working I can’t talk right now,” I said and quickly hung up the phone. I was getting really tired of this, of him always having to know where I was, who I was with, and what I was doing. It was getting real old, real quick. I dropped my phone on the counter as I heard the dinging that signaled a customer had entered the store.

“Hi, welcome to Journey’s. Can I-“ I paused as I saw Alan waltzing into the store. “Oh, it’s just you,” I said, looking back down at my phone angrily, as Kody tried calling over and over.

“Woah, what’s wrong with you?” Alan asked as he reached the counter and rested his arms on it. He followed my gaze and saw my phone lighting up. He looked up at me. “Oh. Is he being a douchebag again?” he asked and I just shook my head in response. Alan reached his hand out and rubbed my arm.

Alan was practically like a brother to me. He had been best friends with Josh since they were teenagers. Alan and I were the same age, and we had always gotten along really well, even though we were always giving each other shit. Even though he started out as my brother’s friend, we became really close; he was one of my best friends and he knew everything about me, and I knew everything about him. The three of us- me, my brother, and Alan- were practically inseparable.

“Wanna take your break and go get some food?” he asked me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah, hold on,” I said as I got up and walked into the back to find Ryan. “Hey, Ry, I’m going to take my break and eat something. That cool?” I asked him as he was busy stocking shelves. He gave me a thumbs up and told me to have fun before I turned and walked back out into the store. As I rounded the corner I saw Alan talking to someone at the counter, someone whose back was to me. Alan noticed me and smiled, the other person turning around and smiling at me also. Of course: Austin Carlile.

“Ready?” Alan asked and I shook my head and grabbed my phone, shoving it into the back pocket of my shorts. “Oh, Carlile’s coming too if that’s cool. I’m in charge of his crazy ass today,” Alan said smirking as Austin smacked his arm hard. I shrugged my shoulders, unable to speak. What was wrong with me?

The three of us walked awkwardly to the almost empty food court, stopping to wait in line for Chinese food. We ordered and I made my way to front, shoving myself in front of Alan to pay for all of our food. Alan and Austin practically yelled at me for doing so, but it was too late. I found us a table and sat down, waiting for them to make their way over. They took a seat and began chatting with each other, but I was lost in my thoughts.

I couldn’t stop thinking about Kody, about how mad he was making me, how much I didn’t even want to talk to him anymore. You shouldn’t feel that way about your own boyfriend, your boyfriend of 2 years who you love, right? I was pushing the rice around my plate, staring at it, lost in my mind, not even taking a bite.

“Ty…. Ty! Tyyyllleeerrr!!” I finally heard Alan say as he poked my arm and I snapped out of it, turning my head to look at him.

“Huh? Sorry,” I muttered as I directed my attention back to my plate. I briefly glanced up and saw Austin looking at me. He looked……concerned, almost.

“Are you okay? I was talking to you for like 2 minutes,” Alan said softly as he looked at me. I shook my head, knowing I didn’t convince Alan that I was fine. He knew me too well. “Quit thinking about that asshole, okay? You’re here with your bestie, well your brother’s bestie, who happens to be a rock star and a ginger!” he said, trying to make me laugh, which he succeeded at. I laughed as I shook my head at him.

We fell into easy conversation as we ate. I tried to push Kody out of my mind, and it was getting easier and easier as I kept seeing Austin smiling at me. Our lunch was interrupted when a group of teenage girls came rushing over to the table, seeking autographs and pictures from Austin and Alan. Alan basked in the moment, jumping up from the table quickly to satisfy the fans. Austin looked at me, his eyes sad.

“Sorry,” he muttered. I shook my head letting him know it was okay, I was used to it by now with Alan and all. He stood up slowly, signing the girls’ shirts and taking several pictures with them. The boys gave them hugs before the girls walked off, chattering giddily between themselves. I stood up and grabbed my trash.

“I, uh, gotta get back to work. See ya later,” I said quickly as I tossed my garbage away and walked awkwardly back to the store. I’m not sure why I felt so awkward and self-conscious all of a sudden, but I felt like I couldn’t breathe, like I had to get out of there. I could practically feel Austin’s eyes burning into my skin as I retreated away from the food court. I resumed my position at the counter, counting down the hours until I could go home and hide in my room for a while.