chapter thirty six ... the truth comes out

Start from the beginning

Turning in my chair slightly so I could face her, I cocked a brow. "What the hell could you possibly know that Benji doesn't?"

Laura sighed as she reached into her over-sized pink Michael Kors purse and pulled out her phone. Unlocking it, she started to scroll through something before she looked at me sadly.

"Cooper and I actually dated. For about six months," Laura burst out as she avoided eye contact. "That's why I got so obsessive and wanted to break you guys up."

"I don't believe you," I replied instantly as I shook my head in denial. "He would've told me something like that."

"No, he wouldn't have. He hated me and he knew instantly the kind of feud we had and I'm assuming he didn't want to add to it."

Narrowing my eyes on her, I took another sip of my coffee as I thought about what she said. While part of me didn't believe her, the other part of me actually thought that it made sense. It would explain some of his behavior but on the other hand, he had always been so relaxed up until recently.

"Here," Laura said as she handed me her phone. "I figured you wouldn't believe me but this might help."

Grabbing the phone from her, I felt my stomach knot as I scrolled through countless pictures of her and Cooper together; them at the bar, at a garden, with her family and his family, a carnival, the beach, and even the karaoke bar.

I knew of Laura's past tricks but this was hard to argue: dates and location stamps showed up when I clicked on 'more details' and the knot in my stomach seemed to double in size. Locking her phone as tears sprung to my eyes, I quickly handed it back to her.

"I just," I started to say before I took a deep breath. "Why would he lie?"

"There's something you should know, Elli," Laura said as she rested her hand on my arm. "I cheated on him with Johnathan."

My eyes widened as everything seemed to piece itself together. "Now it makes sense."

"Him and I had gotten into a huge fight because I had told him I loved him and he didn't say it back so I got drunk and slept with Johnathan. I thought the fact that he couldn't say it back meant we were done but I was wrong and he never forgave me after that."

"I'm so sorry for being shitty to you even though there were times you deserved it," I said as I put a hand over hers that rested on my arm.

"Hey, it's okay," Laura said as she gave me a weak smile. "I should've told you sooner, especially when I found out he hadn't told you himself. It might have helped you two if you'd known sooner."

Nodding softly, I sighed as I attempted to give her a smile but I couldn't muster one. Looking up at the sky for a moment to try and regain my composure, I ran my other hand roughly through my hair.

"I just don't get why he'd hide that," I repeated again. "I mean, he knew of my past. Did he really think that exes mattered to me?"

"You should talk to him," Laura said softly. "Only he can tell you why."

"I'd love to talk to him but no one has seen or heard from him since the party. I think I'm just going to go home. Thank you though, Laura, for telling me."

"Of course. I'm sorry it took so long but I do hope you two can work this out. He's a great guy and it's clear you make him happy. He deserves that."

Pushing back from the table, I threw my cup away and started making my way back to Benjamin's parking lot to get my car. Sliding in, I flipped on the engine and started driving back to the apartment.

———

I pulled into the lot and sat in the car for a moment. Taking a deep breath, I made my way into the building. Stopping abruptly a few steps away from my floor, I held my breath as I saw Cooper standing there outside the door with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

 Stopping abruptly a few steps away from my floor, I held my breath as I saw Cooper standing there outside the door with a bouquet of flowers in his hand