Shelax

Soulmate au where when the older soulmate turns 16 both soulmates gets the others first words to eachother only on their wrists.

Shelby-
I'm mute. I wasn't born with it I just don't talk, because it hurts to, and I'm not allowed to.

My mother doesn't want me to because my voice isn't "pretty." She wanted me to be a singer like her, but I didn't have the voice to do so.

And when I was little my mom had strangled and choked me because I couldn't sing. Her words were "if you can't sing pretty, then might as well not use your voice at all. Don't speak again."

So I haven't spoken since, and because of that my voice would be raspy and it would hurt if I did.

Tomorrow is my 16th birthday, and I have no one to spend it with. August 20th, the most dreadful day of my life. I'm scared of tomorrow because I have the feeling that I will awake to no words on my wrist. No one could ever love me cause I'm mute.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when the end-of-lunch bell rang. I grabbed my backpack and threw away my chip bag. I headed to math, where I sit next to the loud girl of the class.

Jess. Friends with my cousin Ross, can get so many guys to fall for her, and can make friends with almost everyone. I aspire to be like her, but I can't talk, so no one even thinks of talking to me.

I sit in my seat and wave to my teacher. Jess comes in laughing and sits next to me. "Hey Shelby!" I wave at her and pull out my math homework. "Hey can I ask you a kind of personal question?" She asks. I nod and turn to her. "Why cant you talk? Is it a medical reason or personal? You don't have to answer I was just wondering."

I quickly write on a piece of paper. 'Personal.' I show it to her and she nods. She seemed like she wanted more but I didn't know what to tell to make her not call CPS. 'My mom doesn't like my voice so I stopped talking for her sake.' I say to make it seem like it was my choice and not my moms.

"Wow she made you do that...? I'm sorry Shelby." I shrug and she continues, " want to escape her for a day and come over to my house tonight? I was planning on asking you to come over but now I have a reason to."

I look at her astonished and nod my head with a smile. She claps her hands and gives me her number and address.

Then class starts. Did I just make a friend?

Time skip-
I walk up to the house Jess had told me was hers. I knock on the door and a short and sweet Hispanic mom answers the door. "Oh you much be Jess's new friend! She's upstairs, 2nd door on the left." I sign a 'thank you!' in sign language. I head up the stairs and hear laughing from a room. I knock on the door and Jess opens the door.

"Oh hi Shelby come in! I just have a few other people here. You probably know them already but if you don't," she turns me to them, " this is Adam, Ross" I look down when his name is said, " Barney, Red, and Max." I shyly wave.

Why does Ross have to be here? Honestly he probably forgot who I am. I sign 'hello I'm shelby.' Not thinking anyone would understand.

"Oh sorry, she mute so she signs and writes instead of speaking." Jess says and they nod. Ross stares at me and I  put my stuff down. She leads me over to her bed and we sit there. Everyone talks as I sit there. Soon enough I head to the bathroom and just sit there on my phone. I go on snapchat for some reason and see a story of someone who added me just to have more friends. I pressed it while I shrugged.

I read the text in the photo. It said 'some girl walked into our sleepover and is all shy and crap, but she's really cute, and it doesn't look like she has her soulmark yet so I might try for it. Wish me luck.' I read this and frown, I wish someone thought of me like that.