forty nine

Jeon J. Bank — SEOUL, S.K.

"Ms. Song Yuri," The new young accounting intern calls for you as you walk down the lonely hallway towards your office. You turn around, snapping out whatever trance you seem to be falling into way too often these days. He stops walking as soon as you do, widening his eyes a little as he realizes he isn't ready to have your complete attention. "Uh—um,"

"Oh, hello." You greet, seeing that it's him and not the usual Jiyae. Usually, Jungkook takes care of the more external people, always wanting you to have the least contact with others as possible. "You're the newest accounting intern, right? Um, Jungkook isn't here today." You inform, "Do you need something?"

"Actually," The young man avoids direct eye contact, "Mr. Jeon told me to give you my whole briefing presentation today." He explains a little shyly, thinking that you knew already but not showing offense at the fact that you seem to have no idea. You then take notice of his nice clothes and styled hair. Then, you feel a little bad.

Fucking Jungkook.

"Oh, that's right!" You fake your best expression of remembrance, hoping to make the situation less awkward and uncomfortable for him. "That's today! I'm so sorry, I have a lot on my mind and some things always tend to slip. Nothing personal, I'm just—forgetful." You watch him fake a chuckle as well, a little too nervous to execute it credibly. You feel like he caught on to your kind gesture of remembering something you had no knowledge of. "Um," you take a second to decide your next course of action, "why don't you come to my office? If you're ready, of course. I imagine you are."

"Oh, um—yes, ma'am." He gives you a small bow, quickly proceeding to close the gap between you so he can follow you the rest of the way down the elegant hallway. "I mean, not ma'am, that makes you sound old—damn that came out wrong—I mean, yes, Ms. Song."

You let out a small, genuine laugh, making him look over at you even more nervously to analyze if your amusement is a good thing or a bad one. "I appreciate the respect, but you don't really have to be so formal." You tell him casually, hoping to ease his nerves. "I'm not like Jeon in that sense. Yuri is fine. I could care less about titles. What matters is the work."

"So, Ms. Yuri?" He asks politely. It's amazing to have someone so professionally intimidated by you—not that it boosts your ego or anything superficial like that, it's just a curious thing. With everything else going on in your life, this strange feeling manages to ease all of that a little bit. At least, for the time being.

"Whatever's most comfortable for you, dude." You smile, turning to face him and for the first time really getting to notice the beautiful color of his eyes. "Oh my God," you trail off, now fully looking at the entirety of his face. You don't even acknowledge the way he flushes red again as you both come to a halt in front of your closed glass door, "you look so familiar.. Wait,"

"Um," The young man stammers, shyly looking down as he can't bring himself to meet your eyes directly. That's a level of confidence he does not yet have with you. "Really?"

"What's your name?"

"My name?" He looks up at you briefly. You can't tell if he's holding off because he thought you should've known it already and he's possibly offended that you don't or if he realizes why it'd be a relevant question and why it wouldn't be that much of a good thing to tell you like this.

"You have one, don't you?" You ask, feeling your chest begin to tighten up the more his face morphs into the one bringing back that heavy turmoil into your mind. "What is it?"

"Um, it's—it's Choi Leohan." The intern answers lowly yet clearly, looking back down at the floor as he doesn't want to see the way your expression changes the way it does.