forty eight

"Dear Future,
I don't know if this file will live to meet the me that I'm sure I'll become eventually.. If it does—if it does, I hope all of this has been worth it."

You open the door to Yuri's bedroom, stepping inside the dark space several hours after leaving it, a couple past midnight. You'd spent most of your late day walking down the lonelier streets of Seoul with Yoongi, avoiding the conversations he wanted to get into the most. All you can think of now is how tired you are. All you want is sleep.

"How'd they do it?" A deep voice emerges from the still darkness, startling you down to the carpet almost. Your heavy eyes shoot open, looking around for the owner of the words. You find the familiar silhouette standing up off of your couch chair, heading towards you now.

"What the fuck?!" You raise your voice, no longer feeling sleepy or tired. Your heart rate is much too high. "You fucking CREEP! What the hell are you doing in here with the lights off?! How long have you been here?!"

"Shh!" Taehyung quickens his pace, closing the few foot gap between the both of you in mere seconds and covering your mouth with his hand. Even with barely any light easing your vision, his face—now only a few inches from your own—is as clear as it can be.

You immediately take his hand and force it off, furrowing your brows even more incredulously, putting your own hands up to his chest, and shoving a good amount of distance between the two of you. "What the fuck, Taehyung?! What the hell is this?!"

"You think I don't know now?" Taehyung tries closing the gap once more, his dim expression much more serious now. For every step forward he takes, you take one back, until the closed door behind you lets him close the gap for good. Your heart races a little faster, inevitably intimidated as he is physically stronger and seems fairly upset. Nonetheless, if you have to handle this with all of your painful training, you won't hesitate.

"Back up, Taehyung." You warn, trying to regulate your breathing. Naturally, your body has to show signs of fear, but you're not really that afraid. You simply don't want things to escalate when talking will work much better. He clenches his jaw, looking you straight in the eyes. You keep that eye contact, making sure to not make the mistake of breaking it.

"How'd they do it?" Taehyung repeats his initial question, completely disregarding your warning tone. He holds his ground, not getting any closer only because he's already close enough to still keep some degrees of respect afloat.

"You're about five seconds from a really hard slap across that stupid face of yours." You go ahead and play his game, ignoring his words like he did to yours. The heavy tensions grow even heavier. "Right on those still-sensitive bruises you got there."

"Try it." Taehyung immediately prompts, going as far as tilting his head a little to put the most messed up side of his face closest to you. "See what happens if you dare lay a hand on me, my oh so dearest Sunshine."

"Ha. That's how I know you're all talk. I already laid two on you and my skin is still intact." You pat the cut on his jawline, not hard enough to make him angry, but enough to make it sting a bit. "Make that three." You follow. He flinches and breaks eye contact first, stumbling backwards a little. "You wouldn't fucking hurt me. No matter how much you think you hate me." You watch him look up at you again, a subtle glint of anger now present in his eyes. "I know because you haven't done it yet."