Chapter Sixty

The scenes around me shifted.

When it stabilized again, I was still hidden behind a tree. But when I stepped out, I found myself looking at Zayn's backyard.

The backdoor suddenly opened and was slammed shut by an angry looking Zayn. He looked younger too, like he was only 15.

He was holding a crumpled piece of paper on his hand as he stormed off towards me. He walked past and I followed suit until he stopped in a small clearing.

Zayn knelt down. His hands were shaking. He uncrumpled the paper and I peered over his shoulder.

It was a news report about Mom's accident. He took out a lighter and, with hands still shaking, lit it on fire.

We both watched as the fire consumed the paper. We watched as the ashes scattered all around us - small, blackened remnants of the past.

We both wished it burned away what happened. We wished the wind wiped away all the traces.

But we both knew it wouldn't.

The scenes shifted again.

I was back in Zayn's backyard. We were both older now, probably by a year or two, and we were walking towards the shed. I was on the phone with Cat from what I could hear. Zayn had an arm draped over my shoulder.

I was talking animatedly, my free hand flailing and there was a huge grin on my face. And Zayn was... he was looking at me.

He had a soft expression on. There was a small smile on his lips and his eyes never left my face. He was looking at me like he was seeing the moon in all it's glory, with eyes full of wonder, happiness, and... and love.

I had been looking at Zayn all these years. He was my first love, after all. But I had never seen him look at me like that.

Or maybe I wasn't really looking at him.

Because maybe then I'd have noticed that Zayn really meant it when he told me he was in love with me.

He loved me. And the burden of his father's sin weighed down on him all these years.

My surroundings shifted again. It swirled faster around me that I closed my eyes because it was making me dizzy.

"Elle! Elle! Wake up!" I heard Zayn's voice.

My eyes popped open. Zayn's face was inches from mine.

"Fuck, you're alive, you're okay," he said in relief.

"Wha-what? Zayn?" I blinked rapidly. My vision was still a bit blurry.

"Come on, we don't have much time. We need to go!"

He urgently helped me up and put an arm around my waist to steady me. I was back in the dark room where Dylan was keeping me locked up. Only my hands and feet were free now and Zayn was with me.

"Wait," I said when he began to drag me out the room. I grabbed the silver crown from the makeshift bed.

With our hands woven tightly together, we slowly made our escape.

I quickly realized we were underground. The cooler air and the lack of windows were telltale signs.

I was letting the wind guide us out of this seemingly neverending dark maze when Zayn nearly collapsed.

"I'm fine," he said before I even said anything.

I placed my palm on his forehead and immediately felt the cold sweat on his hot skin.