Chapter Twenty

Cat and I were outside my house. She was crouched next to Liam's car, half her body inside the back while she looked for the little bottle of red food dye that we had dropped. I was doing the same, except I was in Harry's car which was parked just next to Liam's.

"You sure you really want to do this blood pact ritual thing, Elle?" I heard Cat say, her voice slightly muffled.

"Oof," I groaned as my hand slid a little and I almost face planted. "Erm, what was that again, Cat?"

She straightened herself, and placed her arms on the open door. She looked at me and repeated her question.

I glanced at her and stood upright as well, gently rubbing my elbow that caught the brunt of my weight when I almost face planted on the car floor.

"Well, yeah," I said. "It's for my own safety."

Cat had, for the most part, taken the news very well. More than I had expected anyway.

We had gone to her house that morning and, just like Louis said, her parents did know about werewolves. I mean, they didn't even bat an eye when they saw me along with three guys, two of which they hardly knew, knock on their door. I even saw them bow a little at Harry.

Thank god they didn't bow to me and still treated me the same.

"My parents had talked to them," Liam whispered to me as we went up the stairs to Cat's room.

As it turned out, Cat did know about werewolves too. Her Mom used to tell her stories about them when she was growing up. She had thought that they were just that, just stories. However, when I told her they were real and that Liam was absent from school yesterday because he was bitten and was turned into one. Instead of freaking out, finding out that they were real made her really excited. She was so excited that I wasn't sure she had fully grasped the whole situation or how serious everything really was.

But I let it go in the meantime. After all, I had more time to process what was happening to me and I sometimes couldn't believe it was happening at all.

She had wanted to come along on our little shopping trip to get everything we needed for the blood pact. Louis and Harry looked at each other before Harry agreed.

Harry later explained to me that werewolves had an unspoken rule that humans weren't even supposed to know they existed at all. But that since I chose to tell her, it's not like they could protest. They had wanted me to only tell Cat what she needed to know but I assured them that Cat could keep it a secret. I told them that she needed to know everything if Liam was going to be by my side. Cat would notice that something had change and I didn't want her to feel left out. I didn't want this to come in between our friendship.

We had finished our shopping trip, even stopping by Gummy's office because Louis said she would have the crystal we needed. We ended up coming back to my house to prepare some of the things.

We needed to dye the sand red but when we couldn't find the tiny bottle, I said it might have fallen in the car while we were driving. I volunteered to look for it and Cat said she'd go with me. I guess the guys were giving us a bit of privacy to talk about stuff as they let us go alone.

"But you're scared of blood?" Cat raised an eyebrow. "Remember that time you fainted when you saw Liam got elbowed while playing ball?

I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration. I didn't faint then, I just grew lightheaded and nauseous a bit.

"I'm not scared of blood," I said.

I really wasn't. It was not the blood exactly that got to me that time. It was just that it reminded me of Mom and her accident. When she died, I would have really awful nightmares about her accident. I would see her lifeless and bloody inside her wrecked car. But I could only stand and watch and do nothing else.