Chapter Fifty-Seven

At the crack of dawn, I could feel myself shifting back.

I was exhausted to say the least. I had been using my new powers nonstop trying to help everyone who had been trapped under the rubble.

When the moon began to fade and the sun's rays seeped through the clouds, I felt my fur retract, and my bones dislocate and reconnect for my human body.

I crawled to a secluded corner and I immediately felt a huge blanket cover me even before I was done shifting back.

I looked up and saw Louis. "I'll take you home, Elle. You need to rest."

"No." My voice came out rough, like I wasn't used to speaking anymore.

"But-"

"Get me the alphas."

"Elle, you really should-"

"Now, Louis!" I closed my eyes, trying to control my rage. "Please."

Louis left again without another word. I stared at the rubble around me. Most of the weres had shifted back into humans and were lifting out rubbles, searching for any survivors from the explosions.

But many lifeless bodies remained. The packs were collecting their dead. Whereas Liam was heading the retrieval of the rogues' bodies.

I wrapped the blanket securely around me. I saw a few people struggling to lift a huge cement block. They were exhausted like I was and it was becoming increasingly hard to keep going. With a flick of my wrist, I had the wind help them lift it up.

I was over exerting myself. I knew I was. But I had to help.

I almost fell on my knees as I coughed. My hand immediately covered my mouth while the other held onto the wall for support.

When I removed my hand from my mouth, there was blood on my palm.

There's a price to pay for everything.

I closed my hand. There was no need for anybody else to see this.

I composed myself and got out of the factory ruins. The sun was steadily rising up in the sky and my pale skin crawled when its rays hit me.

"Liam," I called. In a heartbeat, Liam was by my side. I stared at his tired eyes and scanned his body for any wounds.

"I'm fine," he said.

I nodded then I looked around, "How many?"

His face looked grim, "Too many."

I looked past him and felt my heart break even more when I saw the numerous broken bodies lying on the ground. My eyes grew large and my heart dropped to my stomach when I spotted a familiar blond.

Liam looked back to where I was looking, "We found her under the rubble. I... I think she was dead before the explosions."

My lips quivered.

Gail. Sweet Gail. All she wanted was for her family to join a pack and now... I felt tears welling up. She and I were not close. We hardly even talked. But Gail had always been kind to me, had always respected my friendship with Zayn, and had tried her best to be friendly with me.

Liam wrapped his arms around me.

But before I could even cry, Liam's arm was yanked away from me.

"Back off, Liam," Zayn growled.

"Stop it, Zayn," I glared.

"I will if he keeps his paws to himself," Zayn continued to growl at Liam.

I made a slight pushing movement towards Zayn and the wind immediately sent him flying back a few feet. He remained on his feet but the shock on his face was clear.

I felt myself stagger but Liam kept me steady.

"It would probably be best that you don't touch her," Dylan's voice came from behind us. Liam and I both glanced back and the annoyance and anger were clear on his face. He glared at Liam's hands that were on my arm and waist.

"It's our wolves," Dylan said. He looked like he was trying to shake off the feeling. "Mine is telling me to monopolize you now. Make you mine. And rip your warrior wolf's arm off for touching you."

I almost rolled my eyes. This was ridiculous.

"It's the prophecy," Harry stated. "Now that we know what's to be won as the alpha king, the Goddess upped the ante on our desire to fight for you. To win the fight to make you ours."

He was standing a few feet from Zayn. He also looked pissed as hell but was having more luck controlling it. "It's fucking annoying as hell."

"Great, just great. Even more fucking problems," Mikhail rolled his eyes.

Louis was back as well. He was immediately at my right now that the alphas encircled us.

"Learn to better control it then," Louis snarled. "Liam and I will always put Elle first so we don't fucking care if we're offending your feelings."

Zayn and Dylan growled at Louis' remark. But they nonetheless remained rooted to where they were, only sending Liam death glares for still clinging onto me.

I ignored all of them. I looked up at Liam and whispered my thanks. I slowly looked at the faces of each alpha before me.

One of them made a deal with Pluto.

One of them helped cause all these deaths that surrounded us today.

One of them was betraying me.

Whoever it was would pay.

Everyone had grown quiet. If they couldn't tell that I was mad before, they could now. My rage bubbled inside me again.

The trees around us shook as the wind picked up. I made the wind circle us, making sure that each of the four alphas felt the lashing pain and anger inside me.

"Who is it?" I quietly said.

The wind howled but I knew they heard me.

I felt blood drip down from my nose. I continued to make the wind even stronger.

But no one spoke a word.

My body was almost at its limit.

"Who. The. Fuck. Is. It?!" I repeated, this time louder and more determined.

"Me. It was me."

I didn't realize my heart could break any more than it already did.

I took a step forward but my body collapsed.

"Elle!"

"Selene!"

I fell on my knees and was about to fall face first on the dirt when a pair of hands caught me.

I stared at his pained green eyes.

"Why... why, Harry?" I whispered before I completely passed out.