Chapter Two

It was like any other day, but then again it wasn't.

I woke up that day feeling exhausted as if I just went on a long journey, which was weird since I slept early the night before because I had nothing better to do.

It was a school day today so as much as I wanted to fall back to sleep, I instead got up, showered, and dressed. I popped in the kitchen where I found my grandmother sipping her tea, and reading the morning paper. A plate filled with pancakes was in front of the seat across from her.

I smiled as I took a seat, "Good morning, Gummy!"

She returned my smile, "Good morning."

I proceeded eating breakfast, making small talk with my grandmother about what she would be doing that day while I was at school.

It was only my grandmother and I. My grandfather died before I was born and my mother died in an accident when I was fourteen. My mother and I used to live in the city closest to Seralune, where I lived with my grandmother right now. It was actually the town where I was born, where my mother was born, and where my grandmother had lived all her life. But my mother decided to move to the city when I turned two.

But ever since my mother died, my grandmother had taken me in so I moved back to Seralune. Of course, it was much smaller and a little isolated as a forest surrounded Seralune as if guarding it from everyone else. It was also at least a three-hour drive away from the city. But I'd much rather stay with her.

That was almost four years ago and I'd lived here ever since.

I finished breakfast and kissed my grandmother goodbye. I closed the door behind me and then got in my car, and then drove to Seralune High.

The morning breezed through, although I almost fell asleep during first period as I was still feeling tired. Lunch time came and I trudged to the cafeteria after dumping some of my stuff in my locker.

So there I was, sitting on the usual bench with my usual lunch. I was seated across Cat, one of my closest friends. There were usually four of us on the table but it's just the two of us today. Her boyfriend was nowhere to be seen while I was subtly watching Zayn, who said he couldn't sit with us today because Gail asked him to sit with her and her friends.

Gail was the new girl and was his latest conquest. Or so I kept telling myself she was. She had barely been in school for three weeks, but there they were, cuddling as if they had been in a relationship for years.

"Earth to Elle," Cat said as she waved a hand in front of my face. Cat was short for Caitlyn Sawyer, while Elle was short for Selene Brooks. She had brown hair and brown eyes while I had long, wavy dark hair and dark brown eyes. I met her during sophomore year and had been good friends with her since. She transferred here in our little town from Washington and she said I was the first person in this place not to recoil from her blunt personality so that's how we became friends.

"What?" I asked, turning to her.

"You should really stop staring at them. Jealousy doesn't suit you."

I rolled my eyes at her, "I'm not jealous."

"Tell that to someone who believes you. Oh right, no one does."

"Whatever, Cat. Let's just go. Don't want to be late for the next class."

"Oh please, we still have 10 minutes left. Just admit it. You're jealous and you just don't want to see your damn "bestfriend" canoodling with the hot newbie."

I bit my lip, "You think she's hot?"

"You're hotter, don't worry," she winked. "What's up with Zayn anyway? This is the third time this week he's ditched us to sit somewhere else."