Chapter Three

"Get your ass off my bed and come here so I can put makeup on you," Cat said to me as she opened the door to her bathroom. She had changed into a new shirt seeing as her other one got stained with my tears.

"Can't I just stay here?" I monotonously said, hugging my legs closer to me as I sat on her bed.

"Hell no. What's the point of you going over to my house if I'll just leave you here alone?"

Cat had hugged me until my sobs turned into hiccups. We sat there in that position for God knew how long, until her mother called asking where she was because their relatives were looking for her. I forgot she had a family dinner so when she hung up the call, I told her she could go.

But Cat wouldn't have it and said she wasn't about to leave me alone, especially when she found out that Gummy wasn't even at home. So she insisted I go back with her and spend the night at her house. I agreed, thinking I didn't want to be alone tonight anyway.

So I changed into a dark blue sleeveless jumpsuit with bird designs after splashing cold water on my face to cool down my puffy eyes. I left a note for Gummy and then put some clothes in a small bag and we were on our way to her house. Both Cat and I were quiet during the car ride.

I could immediately smell the feast her mother prepared the moment Cat opened her front door. Her mother greeted me and sure enough, she was happy I was there. She told me that Cat's Dad was outside grilling and was with the rest of their relatives. It was a barbecue apparently and it was still going strong in their huge backyard. After a quick catch up, we excused ourselves and said we'd just drop off my things in her room.

Cat's room was pretty big, bigger than mine anyway. She had a huge bed and her room was covered with paintings, which she did herself. She had a shelf full of records and CDs and beside it was her stereo and player.

Sometimes, when we hung out in her room, she'd blast the music so loud I couldn't even hear myself think. She really had this diverse taste in music and I really liked how she'd be playing Britney Spears songs one day, and then Radiohead the next.

I glanced at her then just shrugged in response and buried my face in between my legs and arms.

I heard Cat sigh, "Come on, Elle. You're coming down with me and that's final. Now come on, we need to put some color back in your face."

"You're so pushy sometimes," I muttered but got off the bed nonetheless. But then I heard my phone ring. I took it out of the bag I brought and saw Zayn's name flashing.

"Don't answer that," Cat said, folding her hands in front of her chest.

"But–" I started to say but Cat grabbed my phone from my hand and then stuffed it back in my bag. She then took my wrist in her hand and just grinned at me as she pulled me in her bathroom.

I could still hear the muffled rings of my phone as Cat applied concealer under my eyes.

"But what if it's an emergency?" I asked, wringing my hands.

"What, like they ran out of beer or something?" Cat scoffed. "If it was really important, he should've shown his face in that shed instead of making you cry and then calling you afterwards."

I bit my lip. She was right. I knew she was right. So after applying mascara and a dab of lipstick on my lips, Cat lent me white cardigan as it had gotten chilly downstairs and we were finally on our way down.

"Well you know who everyone is," Cat said to me as she opened the back door. "And how fucking annoying most of my cousins are."

We made our way towards the table filled with food after I had greeted Mr. Sawyer, who was still busy grilling sausages. I had smiled and waved at some of her aunts and uncles, having met them as this wasn't the first Sawyer's family event I had attended.