Chapter Twelve

One, two, three, four, five, Harry said he liked me, six, seven, eight, I couldn't believe Harry liked me, nine, ten, maybe he realized what he said was a mistake, eleven, twelve, why would Harry even like me, twelve, wait- what number was I in again?

I was lying in bed, my comforter covering me up to my neck. My right foot was sticking out though because I didn't want to be too hot. I was wearing my usual shorts and oversized white shirt. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep.

This was all Harry's fault. After he told me he liked me, I just sat and stared at him. My eyes probably growing wider every second. I couldn't believe what I just heard. It was just... impossible. Right?

Harry probably realized that what he said was crazy because he just frowned and then acted like nothing happened. He changed the subject and just asked if I was hungry. I realized my mouth was hanging open so I cleared my throat before I said yes.

Everything was fine after that. Harry didn't mention it again and I could almost swear it didn't happen at all. Harry acted normal and didn't bring it up again. I was a bit awkward still but I just followed Harry's lead and didn't ask if that really happened.

Gummy came home before dinner. She said she didn't have any new leads. Harry and I showed her my notebook but she was tight-lipped about it. She neither confirmed nor denied that she knew that I was this supposed maiden as Harry suspected. But a flicker of emotion from her eyes told me that Harry was right. Gummy knew.

However, she refused to talk about it. She told me that I needed to recuperate before we talked about it further. I wanted to protest but Harry agreed. So I remained quiet.

When it was time to sleep, Harry stayed in my room until I was tucked in bed. I knew he had been staying by my side ever since he found me. He hardly left my side at all. He had even been sleeping next to me. However, I was surprised when Harry told me he was going to sleep in the guest room. I didn't question him and just nodded. He kissed my forehead and left me alone in my room.

And four hours later, I was still awake. I had tried my best to be comfortable. I had tossed and turned. I even lit up some incense stick, hoping the chamomile scent would help me sleep. I've burned two packs of it until I finally gave up. So I tried to read some school textbooks because I was desperate. But my mind kept wandering back to Harry.

So I gave up on that too and just went back to bed. I was counting the lines on my ceiling. Harry was driving me a little stir crazy.

I started counting again and almost made it past twelve when my phone rang. I bolted up in surprise and almost fell out my bed trying to scramble out of it. I had forgotten all about it until Gummy returned it to me before I went to bed. She told me she kept it when she called Cat and some of my other schoolmates to look for me. I hadn't actually checked it yet. I had too much going on that I forgot, I guess. I stood up then grabbed my bag, then dumped its contents on my bed.

I finally spotted my ringing phone and saw Cat's name. I immediately answered it.

"Oh my fucking God, Elle!!" I heard Cat scream from the other line.

"Erm, hi, Cat," I greeted. "What's up?"

"What's up? Why the fuck- why are you being so casual? Where the fuck were you? I was so worried about you!"

"Oh, I-"

"Wait, don't answer that now. I'm outside your house but some bozos won't let me in."

"What? Why?"

"I don't know but will you please go down and come get me. Liam's with me too."

"Okay, just a sec. I'm on my way down."