Chapter Forty-Three

How to crown an alpha king.

The melodic words bounced across the trees in the dark forest, like the owner of the voice was prancing around happily.

How to crown an alpha king.

I immediately knew who it was by now and I was growing tired of following after what she wanted me to see or hear.

How to crown an alpha king.

But it wasn't like I had any other options at this point.

I grumbled under my breath in annoyance as I did what she wanted. I followed after her, her voice reverbrating all around me that it was almost impossible to tell where it was coming from.

How to crown an alpha king.

I sighed, "Just tell me already!"

I saw something white flitting from my peripheral vision and she came waltzing in from behind the trees when I turned to look. Her flowing thin dress was trailing after her as she danced across the forest, her face clearly covered in glee.

Someone was happy about all the shit that was happening.

I stopped myself from glaring at her or rolling my eyes. She continued her little happy dance and my eyes just followed her movements.

The Moon Goddess finally turned to me, and with a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin she said, "Find the silver crown; Choose a red string; Then you'll know the end is near."

I opened my eyes and the sun was high up the sky, glaring through the thin curtains of my old room.

I groaned when I realized that she had given me even more riddle-like instructions to do. And because I could feel the headache settle in.

Harry was nowhere to be found though.

Did I also dream that he came last night?

I got up from my bed and I could hear shuffling from the kitchen. I immediately knew who it was and I could tell he knew I was up as well.

I went straight to my bathroom and did my business, a little grateful that my stomach was empty and I had nothing to vomit.

I changed into the pants I was wearing yesterday, my hands feeling for the photo that was thankfully still in the pocket. I needed to find a place I could keep it secret from everyone.

But for now, I needed to get rid of this headache.

I made my way to the kitchen to find Louis waiting for me on the table. He was calmly seated and had a cup of steaming coffee in front of him.

There was a plate of pancakes and bacon, a tall glass of  water, and some Advil that were waiting for me in front of an empty chair.

"Good afternoon, Elle," Louis greeted with a small smile. "Eat up. I cooked your favorite breakfast."

I stood by the doorway and stared at him for a few seconds, gauging his reaction over my rash actions.

"What?" he raised an eyebrow at me.

"You're not gonna yell at me? Tell me how irresponsible I was for suddenly leaving?"

"And that would help us how?"

"You're not even a little bit pissed I took your car?"

"You are welcome to take any of my cars. But I would like it better if I were with my car when you take one of them. Besides, that Niall kid already returned it to me."

I stared at his awfully jolly demeanor for a few more seconds.

"Eat up," Louis gestured towards the plate.

I awkwardly sat down and drank the glass of water. I reached for the Advil but Louis swatted my hand, "Not before you've eaten anything."

I rolled my eyes and made a big show out of eating a forkful of pancakes. After shoving in two more, I laid the fork down and took the Advil.

"Why are you so... calm?" I finally asked.

"Did you want me to go berserk on you?"

"No."

Louis smirked, "I just figured I'd go a different route this time since me getting angry at your sudden decisions doesn't seem to work at all."

"Sorry," I sheepishly said. "So when did you get here?"

"Dawn."

"Was I, erm, alone?"

"Harry was with you. He left when I arrived."

I frowned. Harry left? Was he angry at me?

"Do you want to go home?" Louis asked.

"Do I have a choice?" I sighed as I pushed the plate on the side. "You know this little trip made me realize I can't run away from any of this. At all. Your kind is everywhere and it's like everyone knows me."

"If you really want to run away, I can help you. But there's a condition."

"What?"

"I'm going with you."

I stared at Louis, gauging if he was serious or not.

"I'm serious. If you want to, I can make sure that the only wolf you'll ever encounter ever again will be me."

I slumped down on the table, using my outstretched left arm like a pillow. Louis did the same with his right so we were both facing each other as we laid our heads on the wooden table.

We remained like that for a moment as I mulled over Louis' proposition. I stared at his blue eyes, looking for any hint of hesitation or the usual mischievous twinkle they had. But the eyes that stared back at me held nothing other than seriousness and loyalty.

"I need to go back," I finally answered. "They need me. Gummy needs me right now. So does Cat, and Liam. And... and what will happen to them if I leave? I don't want any more blood to spill."

"Screw that. You're important too, Elle. You don't need to do anything that you don't want to."

"I-I didn't mean to run, Lou. I panicked and I just wanted some space to take a moment and breathe, you know?"

Louis gently wiped the tear or two that trickled down, "I don't want to see you cry anymore, Elle. And if it'll make you happier, I'll gladly take you away from Seralune."

I took a deep breath and sat up while hastily wiping off the tears, "I won't cry anymore. So let's go back, Lou. Seralune needs me to be there. And I have decided to see this through."

Louis sat up as well and for a moment, he kind of looked wistful. "You sure?"

I nodded, "I want to go back."

"You sure you don't want to go back just for a particular wolf?"

I ignored what he was insinuating, "Thanks for the offer, Louis. But I don't think she'll even leave me alone."

I looked out the window and although the sun was still up, I knew the moon was somewhere up there as well. "I don't think I can escape the moon. But at least now she gave me something I can do."

"What do you mean?"

I smiled. It was awkward to do so at first, like I hadn't smiled for a long time. I was just so miserable these past couple of days that it felt weird to finally do so.

"I'm going back to Seralune and ending this once and for all."