Chapter Forty-Two

I quickly slipped the photo into my pocket as soon as I heard the front door creak.

I hopped down from the bed and scurried towards the door. The banging was still ongoing, causing the door to strain and creak under the constant stress.

I opened the door and found a woman, maybe in her early 30s and wearing shorts and a tank top in this chilly weather, standing in front of me with her arm in mid-knock.

"Lead Seer," she greeted, immediately bowing to me. There were a few more people scattered in front of my yard and all of them bowed in my direction.

I flinched when I realized they were all werewolves. Rogues from the looks of it.

"Erm, is there something you need?" I asked when nobody spoke up.

"I apologize if we disturbed you, Lead Seer, but we spotted an unknown rogue leave your home and we were worried. We didn't sense his presence in the house with you, just that there were two humans lurking around."

I frowned. So they didn't sense Mick as well. I wondered how Mick was able to pull that off, with the heightened senses wolves had.

The woman looked hesitantly at me, "Our deepest apologies, Lead Seer. We just wanted to make sure you are all right."

"It's fine. Thank you for worrying about me...?" I looked at her expectantly.

"Leanne. Leanne McHanes."

"It's nice to meet you, Leanne. Please call me Selene," I said with a small smile. "Err, how did you know I was here?"

"One of the rogues who live in the area spotted you in the store and alerted everyone else that you were here."

"Everyone?"

She glanced at her companions for a moment, "We wanted to finally say our greetings and invite you to have dinner with us."

"Oh. I-I'm not staying here that long," I apologized. "I only dropped by to pick up a few things and I'll be on my way."

Leanne's face fell and I could already feel my conscience eat me up. I was actually planning to sleep here for a night but the whole point of running away was to stay away from werewolves. This was proving to be a difficult task as I had barely even arrived here and I'd already seen more than a handful.

"If that's the case then we can escort you to your destination," Leanne offered.

I inwardly sighed, "No, it's fine. I can drive there myself."

Leanne nodded and then took out a cellphone and a wad of cash from her pocket. She handed them to me, "Louis transferred the money and told me to give it to you. And that you should call him."

Louis. I should have known he was in contact with other rogues. Hell, he probably even knew a lot of werewolves from everywhere.

I hesitantly looked at the cash and phone for a second but decided to take them, "Thank you."

Leanne bowed again, "If you need anything, just knock on the house two houses down your left."

I watched as she retreated back along with the others. I didn't close the door until they were gone.

I placed the phone and cash on the kitchen table and left them there. I went back to Mom's room, saw the sorry state it was still in and started cleaning again.

I finished that and then proceeded to do the same to my room. And while I was at it, I cleaned the rest of the house too.

Not that it was really dirty. I think Gummy hired someone to clean here once in a while and to pay the bills so that the water and electricity were still working.