Chapter Twenty-Five

Before I could do anything else, I felt myself getting yanked back by a strong pair of hands that suddenly wound themselves around my waist.

The force surprised me so much that the next thing I knew, my surroundings had gone back to being dark.

"Are you all right?" I heard someone ask from behind me. I froze for a second at the sound of the unfamiliar voice.

I immediately removed his hands and turned around, backing away that I almost stumbled on the gravelly ground. My shoes were seriously not doing me any favors at all.

His hands held on to my waist again to keep me steady. I could still hear the rushing water but without the sun's warmth around me, I felt a slight shiver down my spine as the cold enveloped me.

He stepped closer to me, "Are you all right, Selene?"

With him standing this close, I could see his brown eyes clearly as they stared intently to mine. I nodded, unable to talk with my heart still thudding fast inside my chest.

Then I realized he called me by name.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice a mere whisper next to the loud water.

I saw his eyes glow for a second. He blinked and it was gone.

"You know who I am," he answered. "I came here just for you."

The boy in front of me smiled, almost shy. The action made his chiseled jaw more prominent. He had dark hair, almost as dark as mine. He was wearing black jeans and a gray shirt, with the sleeves pushed up so that his strong biceps were there for everyone to see.

How could I know who he was? I had not seen him be-

Then I realized that he was a werewolf. The glowing eyes just now were the same ones Liam and the others had when it was dark out and their eyes reflected any available light. And there was only one werewolf who I had not yet seen before but I knew was coming to see me. It finally clicked.

He was Alpha Dylan of Southfire.

I guessed he could see that I realized who he was because he said, "It's good to finally meet you, Selene."

From the corner of my eyes, I could see movement as someone emerged from the forest. I turned to look and saw a wolf. I recognized Liam's wolf immediately. His glowing eyes zeroed in on me.

He came running towards me in full speed and, on his heels, I saw another wolf.

Harry.

The moment Harry's wolf saw me, he ran so fast that he overtook Liam in a heartbeat. They stopped about a feet away from us. Liam whimpered while Harry growled, mostly at Dylan's direction though.

Surprisingly, I got a gist of what Liam was whimpering about. I could feel the worry emanating from him and how he was so relieved to have found me. It was like although I couldn't hear the words, I could somehow feel what he wanted to say. It was weird.

On the other hand, although I couldn't understand Harry like I did Liam, I had an idea why he was growling like that.

So I stepped away from Dylan, letting his hands drop to his side as they slid off of my waist. Liam walked right next to me and nudged my arm gently, all the while still whimpering.

"It's fine, Liam. It's just a scratch," I said with a small reassuring smile.

Harry was still growling at Dylan who wasn't paying him any mind. His whole demeanor was still turned to me.

"Come with me to my pack house and I'll get you patched up," Dylan said.

Harry growled even louder as he slowly walked closer. He squeezed his way between Dylan and me.

"Hello, Harry," Dylan said, finally acknowledging Harry's presence.

I saw more wolves emerging from the forest, surrounding us in seconds. There were a lot of wolves I didn't recognize. Two large wolves walked closer to us, one was a chestnut color while the other was steel gray. They were almost as large as Harry's wolf. When I looked at their eyes, I realized they were Mikhail and Kevin.

Mikhail had his fangs bared towards Dylan as well while Kevin was glaring at Dylan.

This could turn ugly fast if I didn't do anything.

"Okay, everybody calm down," I finally spoke up, my voice louder than it usually was.

Liam whimpered when I left his side and stood in the middle of the four alphas.

Kevin yelped at me and kind of nodded towards my bleeding arm.

"I just fell. It's not that deep," I answered. "So everyone please calm down. I'm fine."

Mikhail barked at Dylan for a solid minute, like he was hurling down insults at him. Dylan just stood there, his face almost amused.

"You do know I don't understand a shit you're saying, Mikhail?" Dylan said.

Mikhail bared his fangs even wider this time.

"Look, let's all just calm down," I said, raising my arms between the alphas. "Dylan didn't do anything. He was just... he was just helping me that's all."

"You all should be thankful I found her when I did," Dylan explained. "She almost fell down the waterfall."

All alphas turned to look at me.

I sighed, "It wasn't like that."

They all looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to explain.

I looked over at the falls and remembered what she had just shown me. It wasn't something I really wanted to share, especially since I wasn't even sure what it meant.

I turned to look at them again, "I just want to go home. Please. I'll explain everything in the morning."

"I'd be happy to take you home, Selene," Dylan said. "After we get your arm bandaged up. My pack house is close by."

I hesitated.

"Your warrior wolf is welcome to go with you," Dylan offered.

Harry growled in protest. But maybe Dylan's suggestion wasn't a bad idea. I was afraid Harry would press me about what happened. And I really didn't want to talk about it right now. I needed some time to think.

"Okay," I agreed.

Harry's head whipped at me so fast, it was almost unnatural.

"Just... I'll see you all in the morning, okay? I just want to rest right now," I avoided Harry's gaze. I felt like if I looked at him, I'd want to tell him everything. But I needed to think about what I saw right now. What did it mean? And why did she show it to me?

I lived all these years not really caring who my father was. I was content that it was just my grandmother, mother, and me. And now she showed me this... this vision. Why?

Kevin was the first to agree. After a small bark, he turned back to the forest. A few of the wolves followed him. Mikhail followed but not after giving Dylan a warning growl. Dylan ignored him and walked closer to me.

"I'm gonna have to carry you," Dylan glanced at Liam. "Hope you can keep up."

I could feel Harry's eyes staring on my face so I mustered up my determination and looked back at him.

"I'll see you in the morning, Harry," I whispered but I was sure he heard me.

His eyes grew wider and I could tell he realized what I was telling him.

Before Harry could do anything, Dylan had placed an arm around my waist causing me to break eye contact with Harry.

"Ready?" he asked.

I nodded and Dylan scooped me up. I just closed my eyes. I couldn't look at Harry again. I felt the rush of wind as Dylan ran. I could hear the loud pounding of paws as Liam and the wolves from Dylan's pack came running behind us.

But even that wasn't enough to shut out the devastated howl that reverberated all around us.