Chapter Thirty-Seven

Cat had covered her face with her hands, but I could still hear her muffled sobs.

We were still on the floor in Gummy's hospital room and I was staring at Kevin with my mouth agape.

He used my momentary shock to kneel down next to Cat and inject something in her arm.

"What-" I tried to push Kevin away but he had already emptied the contents of the syringe.

Within seconds, Cat's hand slid from her tearstained face and had slumped over to me. Her eyes were close and I immediately grew into panic.

"She's just asleep," Kevin said. Sure enough, I saw the slow rise and fall of Cat's chest, signaling that she was still alive.

Kevin pulled her off of me in seconds, then carried and laid her down onto the small couch.

I gingerly stood up and faced Kevin, ready to give him a piece of my mind for doing that to Cat.

But he spoke first, "I've known Zayn for a while now."

I rolled my eyes, "Of course you do! He's my best friend and I've introduced him to you before!"

Kevin lifted his arms up in exasperation, "No, no, no. Even before that. I knew that little shit and I had warned him to stay away from you but he didn't even listen!"

Kevin's voice grew louder with each word that he was almost snarling at me. But I stood my ground.

"You're not making sense, Kevin. What are you talking about?"

Kevin was inches away from me in the blink of an eye. He clutched my arms and I could see a different kind of crazy take over his eyes.

"I loved Thana! No, I love her... I still love her," Kevin exclaimed. "I didn't care if she was the next lead seer or not. I was ready to leave being an alpha for her! I love her! I didn't care about my pack, I just wanted her!"

I was suddenly afraid. Kevin was declaring his love for my mother but... but it sounded so menacing and borderline insane.

"But she didn't- she had someone else. I knew she loved someone else. I tried to find out who but she wouldn't tell me. She changed. Thana did. And then one day she tells me she's pregnant but he's out of the fucking picture. But she still didn't want me. Thana, sweet Thana still didn't want me."

The devastation was clear in Kevin's voice. I wanted to comfort him but I didn't know how. What could you say to the man your mother rejected?

I knew for a fact that it didn't deter him from seeing Mom. He was present in my childhood. In fact, he was the only friend I knew my Mom had.

"I promised her. When Thana died, I promised her I'd look after you. But I had to find the motherfucker who did it first."

His grip on my arms tightened, "I was gonna kill that motherfucker and make him feel the pain I felt when he killed the love of my life. The police had found him but I wasn't about to let him live his life in jail! That wasn't enough! He deserved to die! But no! Sybil had to interfere and ordered me to leave the motherfucking asshole alone!"

"I don't... what does this all have to do with Zayn?"

Just then, the sliding door opened. Jackson had arrived.

Kevin acted quickly. He pushed me aside roughly that I had lost balance and toppled to the ground. The next thing I knew, he had pulled Jackson inside, shut the door again, and repeatedly punched him in the face until Jackson had lost consciousness.

It was when I truly felt Kevin's power as an alpha. Jackson was a few inches taller than he was and bulkier too but he was able to overpower him easily.