Chapter Forty

I was being followed.

I wasn't sure who it was or how many they were. It was still dark out but the moon illuminated my surroundings enough that, from my peripheral vision, I could see the blur of wolves running on either side of the car. They were running through the forest, just beyond the tree line.

I had since passed Seralune's border and was on a long stretch of road that was headed to the next town over. I was clearly going a hundred miles but these wolves were keeping up with me easily.

I rolled the window down an inch.

"Stop following me," I commanded, lacing my words with my seer tone.

The wolves stopped abruptly on their tracks. Howls erupted all around the forest but I ignored them.

I just wanted to get away.

I needed to get away from all of these.

I didn't ask for any of these.

All I wanted was to be normal.

I glared at the moon that was looming over us. Worry and frustration were mixing in with all my other emotions and I knew it must be because of Liam and Louis.

I knew they'd be able to find me if they wanted to. Maybe if there were enough distance between us, they wouldn't be able to.

I stepped on the gas and didn't stop until I had to stop for gas. And then it dawned on me that I didn't have anything with me. No wallet, no money.

Just the almost dry clothes on my back and Louis' car.

Maybe I should just leave Louis' car here and walk. It'd be less conspicuous that way anyway. Plus I was close to the next town, if I remembered correctly.

I rummaged through the dash to see if I could take anything with me. I was pretty sure Louis would be miffed that I'd just leave his car here but he's probably already pissed I took his car in the first place.

I opened the glove compartment and instantly saw a gun. I frowned and wondered for a moment why Louis had one.

I jumped when I heard someone tapping on my  window.

I looked over and saw Niall.

My eyes widened in shock. I quickly shut the compartment before I rolled down the window.

"I thought it was you," Niall grinned.

"What are you doing here?" I asked suspiciously. Was Niall following me too? Was Niall even a werewolf? If he wasn't, did he know about werewolves?

"On my way to Seralune. Crashing over Cat's house before my flight back home in two days. What are you doing here?"

"I... just out for a drive."

Niall looked at me and at the flashy car I was driving, "You didn't steal this car and ran away, did you?"

"No," was my quick answer. "I... borrowed it."

Niall shrugged, "Okay. I'll see you back in Seralune then."

He started to walk back to his car but I grabbed his arm, "Wait, Niall."

I took a deep breath, "Do you think, erm, do you think you can lend me some-some gas money? I-I left my wallet at home and..."

Niall squinted his eyes at me but I looked away. "Okay."

My face brightened up, "Really?"

"I can't really leave you stranded here, can I?"

"Oh, thank you, thank you, Ni!" I immediately opened the door and hugged him.