Chapter Thirty-Five

"It wasn't an accident," Louis said.

It was two days after and Louis finally came to give me an update. I was feeling a lot better too. My shoulder still hurt whenever I made sudden movements but it was a bit more tolerable now.

Cat had been staying with me at home. Not that I was letting her leave anyway. I wasn't going to let her out of my sight until I had a word with her and Liam. It was a good thing Mikhail hadn't come back to see me or Cat ever since I made him leave.

Liam had been with my grandmother all this time, looking out for her in my stead. Unfortunately, this meant that the three of us weren't able to attend school.

Harry stayed with me as much as he could after Zayn left. However, his home packland was now experiencing the first stages of the punishment. So much so that he had been so busy with non-stop video conferences with his high-ranking wolves from across the world, explaining what was happening and setting up ground rules on what to do. He even had to send Klaus back home.

It was especially hard since any werewolf that wished to leave or join a pack had to go through their respective alphas. Leaving wasn't so much the problem as letting new wolves in their packs. It's an arduous process to ensure loyalty and such. And with the large amount of wolves who wanted to leave or join, it had become an even longer process.

But what all packs were concerned with were if the wolf that wished to leave or join their pack was of rank. Wolves that had high ranks had access to pack secrets and, of course, the alphas didn't want those to leak. So it was extra hard to just let a wolf leave or join, especially if the wolf had rank.

In fact, Dylan, who had also come to visit, had informed me that many soulmated wolves who were from different packs were choosing to go rogue in the meantime. And because these wolves weren't used to living like most rogues did, which was in isolation, they were choosing to come and stay in Seralune.

At least until the alphas had sorted out what to do.

So now there was a large influx of wolves in Seralune, of which I was now in charge of since my grandmother was currently in a coma.

It was all very stressful.

Add the fact that Harry, Dylan, and Zayn had been taking turns visiting me and it was even doubly stressful.

The three of them had somehow learned to avoid each other by sorting out a haphazard schedule of when to see me. But my favorite time of the day was when Harry came over to sleep.

It was inevitable. I was restless even in my sleep and the only remedy was to have Harry sleeping next to me again.

Harry was my safe zone.

He was the only one I knew whose feelings were real even before her punishment took effect. And I was choosing to believe that.

Sure, Zayn had said that Harry was also keeping secrets. But that didn't mean it had anything to do with me. Right?

"What do you mean it wasn't an accident?" Cat asked.

Zayn must've seen when Louis arrived because he knocked shortly after even though Harry was still here.

We were in the kitchen, having breakfast and coffee. All of us were seated around the table except Zayn who was sulking and glaring that Harry was next to me. Harry was ignoring him and acting like he wasn't even there at all.

"Someone tampered with her car," Louis said. "The police have an ongoing investigation. The police chief is handling it personally."

I had been informed that the chief and his deputy were in the know about werewolves so that helped at least.

"Who would want to hurt Gummy?" I whispered.

"We're trying to find out if it's from the same group that shot you and Zayn," Louis answered. "And who bit Liam."

"So there's a shitass enemy out there?" Cat said, a hint of fear on her voice.

"Who is obviously targeting the seer line and those close to them, yes," Louis grimly said.

"I won't let them harm you, Cat. I promise," I said, taking her hand to mine.

"It's not me I'm worried about, Elle," Cat answered.

I smiled at her, "I'll be fine. I've made it this far, right?"

"Not without scars," Zayn added. "We need to have a more offensive approach and catch them before they do any more damage."

"Well that would be easy if we actually knew who they are. Or why they're even targeting Sybil and Elle," Louis remarked.

"I don't think they meant to hurt Selene," Harry spoke up. "She became collateral damage the last time. The bullet wasn't for her."

"Why would they even hurt Elle's friends?" Cat asked.

I gasped, "I-I think I know why."

All four pair of eyes looked expectantly at me.

"Whe-when Harry bit Zayn and turned him into a were... I heard her. She told me the complete prophecy. She... what all of you knew was only the latter half of it."

My eyes found Zayn's, "Strongest among men."

The I turned to look at Harry, "Fiercest among wolves. One born." My eyes flitted back to Zayn, "One made. One entwined fate."

There was silence as my words sunk in. Every second that passed felt like the tension in the room was increasing tenfold.

"What the actual fuck," Cat breathed out. "You mean..."

"So they targeted the boys close to you to find who fits this prophecy," Louis murmured.

"But shooting Zayn doesn't make sense," I said. "It nearly killed him."

"Why were you in the cemetery anyway, Zayn?" Cat asked.

Zayn, who never took his eyes off me but did so now as he looked down, said, "Just wanted to talk to Elle."

"They still got what they wanted anyway. He's now a wolf. An alpha one at that. So it looks like he's the 'one made' in the prophecy," Louis said. "Besides, we're still not sure if all these events are made by one group. Could be different people or groups."

"That's even worse," Cat said.

Harry's frown deepened, "If there's only two wolves in that prophecy, why the hell are there three of us tied to you?"

I was wondering the same thing. I was pretty sure Harry was the other wolf in the prophecy. His wolf looked like the one I had on my dream. I was yet to see Zayn's wolf form but I was also pretty sure he's the other one.

So where did Dylan fit in?

Zayn clicked his tongue, "A better question here is if you lot didn't know about the first half of the prophecy 'til now, how did this group who bit Liam know?"

I sharply turned to Harry, wincing a little because of my shoulder, "Do you remember what Gummy told us, Harry? About who heard her make the prophecy?"

Harry's face hardened into a menacing scowl, "Yeah."

"What? Who is it?" Cat asked.

"Southfire! Gummy said it was a were from Southfire," I said.