1.14 Little Red Riding Hood

Flashback. In the magic forest. At Red's cabin.

I was hiding in the chicken coop. I don't know why but i thought it was the safest place since i needed some time off Regina.

Suddenly a girl walked into the coop and started collecting the eggs from the chicken.

I accidentally stepped on a chicken and it cried out.

The girl froze and turned around to me.

I stepped out of my hiding spot "I'm sorry. I can go."

Girl "Are you...stealing our eggs? "

I shook my head "no. It was just that, um, last night... There was something out there. There was howling, and... I heard it. And it was so cold, so..."

She smiled " Hey. Come on – come with me. Everyone calls me Red. "

I smiled " I'm Ec- Shadow. "

She raised an eyebrow "Shadow? Really? "

I shook my head "No. It's just that someone's looking for me, so..."

Red smiled " You don't know or trust me yet. Hey, I-I get it. I just need something to call you. "

I nodded "Let's stay with Shadow"

She smiled "okay, Shadow, come on"

We walked out into the forest. Every were was snow.

Red "I just got to bring in some water before we go in. It'll just take a second. "

We stopped at a well.

Me " What was all that howling? "

Red "It's Wolfstime. Killer wolf out there. As big as a pony, but a lot more bloodthirsty. It's been stalking the area pretty regular. It kills cattle and... Hang on. "

she grabbed the rope of the bucket in the well " It sticks sometimes. Could you just..."

I grabbed onto the robe and started to pull the bucket up.

I froze when i turned around to pull.

Red " Look. Look at that. Shadow, look at the water. "

Me "Red"

She turned around. Everywhere were dead men on the ground. Blood was h.

At the tavern. Night.

One of the men who was with the hunting party speaks to the group. I was disguised, well i had a piece of cloth wrapped around my lower half of my face.

Man "The one thing I know, is that last night, was the very last massacre."

They all cheered.

Man " You know, if I had stayed with that party for another ten minutes, I, too, would be among the dead. And, when I think if I'd only doubled back, maybe...I could've caught it in the act. Maybe, I would've been able to slay the creature. "

Granny " You would not. "

Man " Widow Lucas."

Granny " This creature is more powerful than you can imagine. You wouldn't have a chance. Stay inside, hide your children, forget your livestock. "

Man "You said all this before. "

Granny " But, I haven't said how I know. Nearly threescore years ago, I was a child with six older brothers. Big as oak trees, all of them veterans of the Second Ogres War. And my father, the biggest of them all. Come one Wolfstime, he decided to go out and take on the wolf. A different wolf back then, of course, but just as fearsome. They went out there to protect me. I was supposed to be asleep, but I crawled out on the roof to watch and lay down in the thatch. They had the beast surrounded, the seven of them, with spears all pointed in at it. And then it started. It was lunging – not at the men, at the spears. Grabbing with its teeth, breaking the shafts. They stabbed it with the splintered end, but it didn't matter. It tore their throats so fast, that not a one of them got a chance to scream... Or pray... Or say goodbye. When my father died, I tumbled from the roof, and I landed in the blood in front of the wolf. I felt its breath on my face. Then, it clamped its hot jaw on my arm, and I rolled away. "