Chapter Twenty-One | The Burrow, July 31st 2003

Chapter Twenty-One

The Burrow, July 31st 2003

The first time Max ever saw his Mamma cry was when they attended a large party for his Uncle Harry. There was a birthday cake and music, all his cousins were there and he’d been allowed to wear whatever he’d liked. As a five year old he of course chose to wear swimming trunks and a cape only.

He’d spent the morning playing with Teddy and Victoire (even though Vicky is only four and he and Teddy are five). Dominique toddled along after them, her brilliant fiery hair a lighter shade than Max’s. The babies were laid out under a tree, in the shade so their sensitive skin wouldn’t burn. Little Molly and Fred were entertained by whoever passed by, and newborns Louis and Ella slept beside each other in the kitchen crib, rocked ever so slightly by Molly as she cooked.

It was after an early supper (for the kids would soon be dropping off to sleep) that his Gran brought out a few huge dusty books, beaming as she passed them out.

“I found them from your school days!” she said, then beckoned Max over “Come here Maxxie, I want to show you your Daddy.”

Max snuggled up beside his Gran, breathing in her smell of fresh bread and lemon cleaner. She opened the book in her lap and turned the old, thin pages. Smiling faces passed with each one, broom sticks weaving in and out of the crowds.

“Look Maxxie, here’s your daddy!”

Squinting, Max looked at the photo to see a little boy who had the same red curls and freckles as he did; the boy sat in the lap of a young woman, masses of golden curls spilling over her shoulders.

“Whose that?” he asked, pointing to the lady. She looked like someone Max thought he knew, but couldn’t decide who.

“Oh.” Molly Weasley felt a sudden longing in her for that day long ago, when a soaking wet and polite girl had come across the Burrow on a mission. “That’s your Mamma’s Mamma.” She told him, stroking the red curls her grandson had inherited from Charlie.

Max wrinkled his nose in confusion. His Mamma didn’t have a Mamma – at least not that he’d heard of anyway. The more he looked at the lady the more he saw that she looked like his Mamma, as well as his Uncle Andrew.

“What’s her name?”

“Hazel Bowen.” Molly said softly, taking the book off her lap and putting it on the coffee table. She smiled down at Max and stood, putting him on her hip. “Okay everyone, let’s have cake!”

Everyone moved out into the garden, and Max was content with playing hide and seek with Teddy when he noticed his Mamma wasn’t outside. Sneaking from his hiding spot, Max crept into the house and through the kitchen. It was then that he heard the sound of someone crying, and peeking around the corner he saw his Mamma on the couch, one of the big books in her lap.

“Mamma?” he whispered, and Sonia looked up.

“Oh.” Wiping her eyes, she smiled “Hey Max.”

“Mamma, what’s wrong?” walking over, Max looked down at the book in his Mamma’s lap.