Chapter Forty | The Hogwarts Express, January 2014

Chapter Forty

The Hogwarts Express, January 2014

           There was a heavy silence hanging between Charlie and his son, and he hated it. He hated that they weren't talking about anything, hated that his wife had left in the middle of the night – hated that everyone on that platform knew.

"Charles." A woman Charlie had gone to school with approached him, her children not far off. Her name was Jeanine or Jeannie or something. "I was so shocked to hear about your wife –"

"Hm." Charlie's hand rested on Max's shoulder and he felt his son tense.

"I mean, we all knew that marrying someone so young was risky – everyone is so surprised it lasted this long even –"

"Thank you for your comments Jeanine." Charlie interrupted. "I think it's surprising you married someone so much older, and already married, too."

"It's Eileen." She said, offended.

"Sorry." He said curtly, walking Max away. It was and odd feeling when your child was taller than you and it was hard to reach their shoulder or tousle their hair.

"I'm sorry, Max." he said softly; they both stared at the ground.

Max hunched his shoulders a little, sniffing. "I know, Dad. I just...I wish she was..."

"I wish she was here, too Maxxie." Charlie gave him a quick hug, and then cleared his throat. "You better get on the train."

Nodding, Max grabbed his shoulder bag and gave his dad a weak wave and jumped onto the train.

"Max!" his Uncle Andrew weaved through the crowd, dragging Ella behind him by the hand. Amara had Maeve on one hip and was holding Robin's hand, Hester holding onto his.

"What's up Uncle Andy?" asked Max, putting one foot back on the platform.

"Take – Ella – please." He breathed heavily. "Just make sure she finds a compartment, okay?"

"I don't need a babysitter, Papa!" whined Ella, sunny curls bouncing as she tried to let go of his hands, but Andrew held tight.

"I'm hurt, Ella." Max said, pouting. "At least let me find your friends, huh?"

Ella crossed her arms but saw her Papa's worried face and sighed. "Fine."

"She's too cool for you." Charlie chuckled.

The train whistle blew and the cousins jumped on the train, waving to their parents.

"Is Max okay?" Andrew asked Charlie, picking Robin up.

Charlie waved as the train pulled out, trying to smile although he just wanted to cry right then and there. "Yeah, I think so." But Charlie wasn't sure.

            Max deposited Ella in a compartment with a few other first years and headed down the corridor, only to be pulled into a cleaning supplies closet.

"Hey –!" he cried, but his words were muffled when a set of lips crashed onto his.

"Merlin I missed that." Sighed Teddy, leaning into Max. The closet was small and dim, only a small bulb swinging from the ceiling.

"I saw you three days ago." Max said.

"And then you holed up at home and didn't answer any of my owls." Chided Teddy, slowly undoing the buttons on Max's school shirt, peeling of the sweater he was wearing over it.

"It's not like we didn't skip out on desert at Grandma's." Max teased, leaning in for another kiss.

Teddy pecked his lips once, stopping with the unbuttoning. "I heard about your Mum."

Nuzzling Teddy's neck, just a little taller than his own, Max hummed into his collarbone. "Hm."

"Wanna talk about it?" asked Teddy breathlessly.

"No." he mumbled into Teddy's now lavender hair. He was enjoying Max's hands running up and down his spine, Max could tell.

"C'mon mate –"

"Are we even mates?" Max questioned, lifting the back of Teddy's t-shirt.

"I dunno."

"How about when I do this?" Max ran his hands along the top of Teddy's jeans. "Or this?" he kissed Teddy with all he hand, pushing him against the other wall.

"Feels pretty friendly to me." Teddy chuckled, undoing the last of Max's buttons.

Max was about to undo a few more things when the door opened, letting light spill in. They jumped apart. "Are you two snogging?"

"Ella!" yelped Teddy.

"We weren't –" stuttered Max, flushing.

"I don't care," said Ella with disgust. "But this can't be very sanitary."

Max couldn't talk, as his throat seemed to have suddenly closed up. Luckily Teddy still seemed to have the gift of speech. "You can't tell anyone Ella, you understand?"

Ella shrugged. "Sure. Will you buy me a cauldron cake?"

"Seriously Elle – no one can know." Repeated Teddy.

She sighed exasperatedly. "Yeah, I get it. So, cauldron cake?"

Teddy and Max glanced at each other. "Yeah," Max said, regaining his ability to talk. "Let's go."

Just as they were leaving, Teddy pecked Max on the lips quickly. "To be continued."

A/N: OOOHHHH not very stealthy, boys...

Question: a) do you like the new cover? and b) what do you think will come of Ella finding out? And poor Charlie.

Rose