Chapter Fifty-Five | London, February 2019

Chapter Fifty-Five

London, February 2019

The rain poured down on London, as if weeping; the clouds were statements of emotion, grumbling and complaining along with the rest of the country.

In Hyde Park's greenhouse, Andrew sat, nervously thumbing a letter he had received.

I need you. Meet me at the greenhouse in Hyde Park, one o'clock tomorrow, our favourite spot. Come alone.

It was not signed, not that it needed to be. Andrew knew it was Sonia. He had not seen his sister in many years, since the children were young and he still worked for the Ministry. Five years, too long. As kids they had disliked going mere hours without seeing each other.

The minutes ticked by, nearing one. Andrew looked around, worried; what if she decided not to come? He would wait as long as he possibly could, and he knew that if she didn't show it would break his heart. Amara knew this, too.

"Don't get your hopes up," she'd warned.

"I'm not." He lied.

"Drew, she's unpredictable. I don't want you hurt by her again." Everyone knew Andrew had been hit hard by his twin's leaving. No note for him, no explanation or warning. Just gone, overnight. He should have seen it coming – if anyone could have, it was him. And he missed it.

"She'll be there." Said Andrew firmly, patting Robin and Maeve's head goodbye. They were engrossed in a major drawing project that involved a roll of paper as long as the living room.

Now, sitting alone in the humid crystal, Andrew felt foolish. Sonia had gotten scared, she wasn't coming, he wanted to scream and yell and –

"Andrew?"

His head jerked up, eyes wide. It felt like a dream he had too often, where she would waltz back into his life as if she'd never left. "Sonia." His voice sounded so small, like a child's.

"Sorry I'm late." She tugged at her hair, now in short bouncy curls. Somehow the softness that had come with motherhood had weathered away, leaving a bony, fragile body that belonged to sixteen-year old Sonia, holed away in her bedroom, air thick with origami. "Thank you for coming."

"You said you needed me?" he asked slowly. The words had to be thought over, tasted on his tongue before spoken. Otherwise he would break down, beg her to come home. Andrew wanted to be composed.

"Yes." Sonia cleared her throat, stepped forward hesitantly. "I want to come home."

Andrew stared at her, rooted to the spot like the exotic plants surrounding him. It was a dream, it had to be. Sonia could not really be here, saying she wanted to come home. It wasn't real.

"You're serious?" he wanted to be sure. "No running, hiding away – no more of any of it."

"I'm serious." She set her dark gaze on him, pleading. "I'm so sorry I left you, Andy. It wasn't right."

"You didn't just leave me, you left Charlie too. Max. He had such a hard time, Sonia."

"I know, and I will regret it every day that I live and breath." He saw then the tears streaming down her cheeks, plopping onto the beige trench coat she wore. "I want to make things right, to know my son again."

It may have been rash, Amara would have told him so, and maybe he would regret it – but Andrew went forward and hugged his sister tightly, almost crushing her. "Don't you dare leave ever again." He threatened. "Or I won't help at all."

"I won't," she swore, tears soaking his pea coat. "I promise. Oh Andy, I promise."

The Bowen twins stood like that for a long time, just holding the other. The world shifted slightly back into place momentarily, when they were together. It felt just a little bit like before, before they were orphans, or became parents. Embracing, it felt like sunshine days back at Hester House with Hazel, harmonious and calm. 

A/N: And the schedule commences! (sort of) 

Question: Sonia wants to come HOME? Predictions on Max and Charlie's reactions? Hm.

Good luck to those starting school tomorrow like myself! (And extra luck to those of you who have already started)

Rose x