Chapter Forty-Four | Hogsmeade, February 14, 2015

Chapter Forty-Four

Hogsmeade, February 14th 2015

            It was a snowy Valentines Day when Max and Teddy stared at each other from across the Great Hall, arms crossed. Teddy's hair was lavender, Max's was unruely. Both of them would rather be with the other, but would never admit it.

"Good morning!" June Massey walked shyly up to Max, her short curly hair a halo of white-blonde.

"Morning." Max pushed down his nerves and hurt, deciding to try and have a nice day with June. She was a lovely girl, bookish and sweet. They had always gotten along.

Across the hall, Teddy had his arms crossed and stared as Max chatted with June Massey in the line to get checked. She obviously thought he was adorable (because he was) and super smart (because he was) and funny and silly and –

"Teddy?"

Jolted out of his fuming day dream, Teddy looked over at Victoire; boys of all ages were going green with envy, yet he wanted Maxwell Weasley.

"Ready to go?" she smiled sweetly, twisting a strand of silvery hair around her finger.

Standing straight, Teddy attempted to look excited and offered Victoire his arm. "Yeah, let's go." He watched Max go through the doors, laughing at something June Massey had said. Teddy hated himself for it, but he wanted to be June Massey more than anyone else in the world right then.

            Max wanted to be Victoire. He knew it was wrong, to want to be where his little cousin stood – but he couldn't help it. As he and June walked down the cobbled road, hot cocoa in their hands, he couldn't help but think about how gentlemanly Teddy must be right then.

"Can I ask you something?" June gripped her cocoa tightly, kicking a snowdrift with her boot.

"Sure."

"Why don't you use my name?" she asked shyly.

Max stopped walking, surprised. "I didn't know I did that."

"Its almost as if you go out of your way not to." June looked uncomfortable. "Look, I'm sorry –"

"No, no – I'm sorry." Max stared at his shoes. "Uh, can we sit for a second?"

They sat in a small park, beneath a willow; they were shaded from the snow, and it was private. "I didn't mean not to use your name, it's just..."

"Max, you don't have to tell me anything."

"I want to." He said earnestly. "Three years ago, my Mum had a miscarriage. After that she had a lot of problems, and then she...uh, she left exactly a year after that."

"I'm sorry Max," June whispered, putting her small hand on his knee. "I mean I knew she left, but that...that's awful."