Chapter Twelve | Ivy House, July 1999

'Golden Slumbers' on the side, by The Beatles (my loves) is perfection. ----->>

Chapter Twelve

Ivy House, July 1999

“Say, MAMMA.”

“Sonia, honey –”

“Shhh. Say Mamma, Maxxie!”

“Vababagnns!”

“Mamma, Max. Mamma.”

“Sonia.”

Mamma. C’mon babe.”

“Sonia, really. He just turned one.”

Turning around from her spot on the floor, Sonia glared at her husband. “Babies should say their first word from ten to twelve months, Charlie. That’s three hundred and sixty-five days. Max is three hundred and sixty-six!”

Sighing, Charlie threw his hands up in the air “Okay lovely, but you know Max – he likes to wait until he’s ready to do something.”

“If he doesn’t speak by next week we’re going to the healers.”

“Fine, fine. I’ll see you tonight.” Leaning down, he pecked her on the lips and kissed the top of Max’s curly head. “Love you both.”

Sonia listened to the footsteps of her husband, the close of the door; click of the lock and the emptiness that followed his dissaparation. A hush followed Charlie’s leaving everyday, and Sonia longed for the days he had stayed home after Max was born.

Sighing, she turned back to her son. “Well babe, it’s just you and me again.”

Max gurgled happily.

“Okay, I know you’re stubborn and like to wait until you know you can do something, but you’re worrying your Mamma.”

“Bah!”

Eyeing her one year old suspiciously, Sonia frowned “Sometimes I swear you know what I’m thinking.”

Big, dark eyes blinked innocently at her. “Lalalalalaaa!” he burst into giggles, and Sonia sighed once more.

“Okay mister, c’mon – you owe me a bath.” Picking Max up, she smelled his lovely baby-smell, felt his soft skin and listened to his incoherent babble. As he played with the bubbles and toys, Sonia felt an overwhelming love for her baby – as she did every day.

“You have a silly Mamma,” she whispered “She thought she’d never have a baby, never have a little house and a Daddy for the nonexistant baby. Now look at your silly Mamma.” She smiled and tugged on one of Max’s curls. “She’s exactly where she never thought she would be, and happier, too.”