Chapter Seventy-Six | Allswell House, June 2021

Chapter Seventy-Six

Allswell House, June 2021

           Fabric swatches were going to be the death of Max. His Grandmother had dropped them off months ago, and earlier that week she had come by the house and scolded him for ignoring something as important as linens.

"Don't you want your wedding to be special?" she'd asked, plumping the cushions on his saffron couch.

Max had shrugged. "It already is."

Molly had stopped and smiled. "You're right Max, it is." Then she'd grabbed the swatches and put them in his hands. "However, a wedding needs linens. Pick them. I'll be back in a week."

They had chosen a colour arrangement of a lovely cream, and an almost white-yellow, with silver accents. It would be held in a clearing on Hester Grounds, the same spot that Charlie had proposed to Sonia. Max didn't care so much about the colours or the linens, where it was held – as long as at the end he could call Teddy his husband.

"Hey you," Teddy came through the front door, spotting Max on the couch. "Whatcha up to?"

"Linens." He said, waving a few in the air. "I could care less though."

Hanging up his coat and kicking off his shoes, Teddy leaned over the back of the couch to kiss Max's cheek. "I like those there."

"Yeah, me too...c'mere." He grabbed Teddy by the waist and kissed him long and hard. "I missed you."

"Missed you, too. Sorry the days have been so long." Teddy pecked him on the lips once more before heading to the kitchen, calling over his shoulder. "I've been there two years and I still feel like the chief's treat me like a newbie."

Max was studying a thick, creamy coloured fabric swatch. "What about Harry?"

"He's in his office or meetings most of the time, he doesn't have time to be in the lower ranks." Teddy returned with two mugs of tea and biscuits. "Besides, I don't want to be treated differently because he's my godfather."

"Of course not, but you work hard and have for two years now." Max rubbed circles into the back of Teddy's hand, the surest way to make him relax. "You deserve a little respect."

"Never mind that, look what I bought! Accio satchel." Teddy's bag flew across the room, and he dug inside. "I picked up a gift for Mitzie – well, the baby." He showed him the onesie, 'My Godfather's are DA BEST' written in blue swirly letters.

"That is adorable." Max held it out. "I'm still baffled Mitz asked us. She's not even two months, and she conceived so fast."

"Well, she's our best friend." Teddy was looking in his bag again. "And, uh...I got this for us." He sheepishly held out another onsie, with 'My Dad's Rock My World to Sleep' written in the same swirly blue letters, a little owl at the bottom.

Max "Ted..." he held the onesie carefully, as if an actual baby were in it. "A bit early, don't you think?"

He shrugged and put an arm around Max. "I know, I know – but it was so cute and I just...I dunno, I couldn't help myself."

The couple sat in silence for a few moments, staring at the onesie. Max grabbed Teddy's hand. "Do you...should we look into it?"

"What, a kid?"

"Yeah, find out our options – it could take a long time. Can't hurt to start early." Max smiled shyly, squeezing his hand. "How about it Ted?"

Teddy pulled Max to him, hugging him tightly. "That would be...marvellous."

"Now that's decided, can you help pick out these damn linens? Gran will have my head if we don't."

Eyes a little misty, Teddy pulled away and nodded. "Of course." He couldn't stop smiling for the entire evening.

A few days later, Max rolled over in bed and poked Teddy in the side.

"Whaa." Teddy was tired and sore from the mission he'd been on, which had lasted two days. He couldn't go home or contact Max – and when he'd asked his officer, he had scoffed and said, "I'm not letting you owl your girlfriend Lupin." The other Auror who was newer than Teddy was permitted to owl his wife, and Teddy had boiled with rage.

"I've decided something." Max whispered.

"If its about fucking linens I don't care." Mumbled Teddy, squeezing his eyes shut.

"No, it's not to do with the wedding. It's about –" he stalled. "Our baby."

Teddy opened his eyes. "Our baby."

"Yeah." Max swallowed nervously and took his hand. "Teddy, if we get a surrogate – I want to use your sperm."

If he wasn't before, Teddy was sure awake now. "Seriously?"

"Definitely, I've been thinking a lot about it for the past few days." He was giving Teddy a very serious stare. "There are so many Weasley's, and Uncle Andrew has four kids. There aren't any Lupin's or Tonks' other than you."

Teddy didn't know what to say, how to express his gratitude, so he held Max to him and cried. "Thank you." He whispered thickly, tears slipping down his cheeks and onto Max's shoulders.

"Of course Teddy," Max said, kissing his cheek. "I love you."

Teddy didn't know how he had gotten so lucky, but he thanked the heavens for Maxwell Weasley. 

A/N: Awww my boys. 

Question: Do you think Max and Teddy will end up with a boy or girl, and if so, what would they name it?

I have no idea what updates will be like for the next week. I'm visiting family in Alberta for Christmas, so my free time is all over the place. 

ALSO: Only 4 chapters + an epilogue left! Oh my stars I did NOT realize how little there was left...maybe I'll be done in time for the new year after all. Yeesh. So little left. Originally I wanted to be finished before Christmas and put up a one-shot on Christmas Eve/Day, but that's not going to happen. Not in two days. I hope everyone is enjoying their break, whether they are celebrating anything or not!

Rose