Chapter Ten | Godric's Hollow, February 5, 1998

Chapter Ten

Godric’s Hollow, February 5th, 1999

                   Andrew approached the bar slowly. It was the same bar his mother had frequented throughout his life, on her birthday and on Lily’s – as they once had a little while after all the children were born. Hazel had told Andrew once that she’d seen Severus there once, that she’d fallen in love with him all over again that evening.

“It was Christmas,” she’d sighed “And he’d found me at the bar, drinking something disgusting, I don’t remember what exactly. And he quoted Robert Frost.” Then she had laughed, tugged on a single tight curl behind his ear and closed her eyes. They had been lying on the grass outside, summer enveloping them in a hazy warmth as the stars began to appear.

“What happened?” Andrew had asked, watching his young and beautiful mother drink in the evening.

“Well I tried to leave after we insulted each other the appropriate amount, and he ran after me.” Her eyes went to that far away face the twins had come to recognize. “They were playing Piano Man, my favourite back then. Still is, really.”

She hummed a few bars, and Andrew had to prompt her to continue. “So? What happened then, did you blow him off?”

“I sure did try,” admitted Hazel, swaying her head to a tune only she could hear “But then he did what your father always did best – change my mind, sweet talking me until I melted into my boots. He kissed me right then and there.” She was quiet then, and Andrew had been left to fabricate the words on his own as Hazel dreamt them over, so vivid still that she could feel the flecks of snow falling on her skin like frosty kisses.

“Let me go, Sev.” Struggling in his arms, Hazel turned her fiery gaze on her oldest friend “Stop toying with me!”

Brushing her snowy curls back, Severus had leaned down, a smile tugging at his lips “I shall never stop toying with you, Hazel Bowen-never in a million years. I’ll never leave you alone because you’re the little girl who tackled me whenever I made a grammar error and makes me read silly Muggle poetry. I’ll be here forever, because I know you always have a book in your bag and that mint chocolate chip is your favourite ice cream-that your smile trumps them all. I’ll do anything to make you laugh, and read poetry until my eyes fall out. As long a you never, ever tell me to leave you alone.”

Hazel couldn’t talk, could barely breathe as she stared at him-had he really said all that, or was she so drunk that she made it up?

‘Oh please don’t let it be my imagination…’

“I guess…I guess you’ll be sticking around then.” She whispered, no longer struggling against his hold on her.

“You bet.” Leaning down, Severus kissed her quickly - like the brush of wings or a summer breeze, the feeling of water against skin and having sugar melt on your tongue. It was quick, like a hummingbird darting into the heart of a flower and drawing out the sweetness inside; Severus stole whatever was left of Hazel with that one, little kiss.