Chapter Forty-Seven | October 2016, Ivy House

Chapter Forty-Seven

October 2016, Ivy House

            Ivy House was a quiet, lonely place. Charlie had spent four years mostly alone in the home he had built with Sonia without her. He still expected to turn over in bed to see her, find her sitting on the porch watching the rain.

In June their son had graduated from Hogwarts, top of his class – something that would have made Sonia sob with pride. He wished she could have been there when he welcomed Max home, hugged him tightly when he got off the train. They were both quiet people and needed a loud personality to make life more exciting.

Max had been living at home for three months. At first it had been temporary; he needed a place to stay while he did some work with a Herbology unit not far off, in the bogs. It was convenient. Hired right out of school, Charlie was so proud. When Max wasn't in the bogs, up to his waist in possibly dangerous plants, he was with his cousins.

He and Teddy had not spoken since graduation.

"I need to take a little time by myself." Teddy had said on the train, hands in fists. "I just...I'm ready to be okay with myself, Max."

"But..."

"I am okay with myself." He stood straighter. "And I don't feel okay when I'm sneaking around with you. I want to be open."

Max swallowed painfully. "I don't know what to do."

"I'm going to give you a chance, Max." Teddy shoved the words out. He didn't want to say them, he wanted to just kiss Max and keep on hiding. But he was done hiding. "Please. Let's be open together, tell our family – I want to start a life that isn't made of lies. I'm tired, Max."

"I don't understand Teddy."

"For fucks sake Max, I lo –" Teddy sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I can't do this anymore. I'm done." He walked out. They had not spoken in over three months.

"Max?"

Max stared at his ceiling, waiting for Charlie to call again. He did one better, entering the room with a soft nock.

"Can you come to the kitchen please?" asked Charlie. "I want – um – I need to speak with you."

Max stared a while longer, then went to the kitchen. He sat across from Charlie at the kitchen table oriented for three. Sonia's empty seat between them created a crater of everything left unsaid.

"I wanted to talk to you seriously before you left," Charlie said, referencing Max's hunt for a flat in London. "I just...I know that it has been hard between us since your mother left –"

"Can you say her name?" Max interrupted, staring the wood grain.

"What?"

"You never say Mamma's name. Just 'your mother', it makes her feel less real."