Chapter Fifty | Diagon Alley, January 2017

Chapter Fifty

Diagon Alley, January 2017

The tiny flat in Diagon Alley was tense, the light snow outside making the couple want to go outside, but nervous.

"C'mon, let's go." Teddy urged, throwing Max his coat. "It'll be fun! We'll get lunch at that restaurant down the street, the new one – I know you want to go."

Max glanced out the window, swallowing with effort. "Yeah, but..."

"We've wanted to do this for months, Max. We've moved in together, I think we can have lunch in public."

"A lunch date, Ted. A date."

"You were the one who wanted to be out," he said quietly, taking Max's hand. "I want to be able to do this in public comfortably. And this," he brushed a curl back from his face. "Oh, and this." He kissed his quickly on the lips. "So?" he teased.

Max sighed, grabbing his coat. "Let's go."

Teddy kissed him once gleefully before shoving them both out the door. Locking the door behind them, they set down the street. At first, their hands merely brushed each other. Then, feeling brave, Max grabbed Teddy's gloved hand; it was warm and felt oh so right. He did not let it go when they entered the restaurant, or when they sat down.

"Max?"

"Hm."

"I need to take off my coat." Teddy said gently.

"Oh!" Max let go, removing his own jacket. However, he took it back quickly as soon as he could. "I want to make up for all the time I was afraid," he said, blushing. Teddy glowed.

"Hey guys, long time no see!" they looked up, and Teddy moved to take his hand away – but Max held it tight. Their old school friend, Vincent Tobin, was smiling at them.

"He-hey Vincent," Teddy said, glancing at Max. "Didn't know you worked here."

He shrugged, still smiling. "Yeah, well, need to pay off those tuition fees somehow, y'know?"

They nodded knowingly. Vincent took their orders, not acknowledging their joined hands. He wished them a happy meal. Max and Teddy sighed deeply, relieved.

"He didn't even look phased?" Max was surprised. Vincent had known them for a long time.

Teddy shrugged. "Maybe he just doesn't care?"

Food arriving, they managed to forget about being nervous. Though it flickered at the back of their minds the entire time, they had a nice time. After paying and waving goodbye to Vincent, they headed out into the snow. It was pleasant, walking together and not having to worry about hiding.

"Thank you for today." Said Teddy, putting his arm around Max's shoulders. "For holding my hand."

"You deserve it," Max shrugged, squeezing Teddy's waist. "We both do."

Outside their door, Teddy took Max in a sweeping kiss. "I love you." He whispered, cold lips brushing Max's jaw.

Max sighed, hands in Teddy's hair. "I love you more."

"Max, Teddy!"

It seemed as if the entire graduating class of their year was in Hogsmeade that day, for several of their friends were waving at them. "Hey you two," said Ollie, the same Ollie that had landed them in detention those few years ago. "I heard you –"

"Heard what?" asked Max harshly.

"Got an apartment down here," said Ollie, smiling. "Do you like it?"

"Oh." Max coughed, embarrassed. "Yeah, sorry. It's great."

"Ollie and I are sharing a flat downtown." said their old friend Ian Twisp. "Though it's a two bedroom," he joked, his girlfriend Anne elbowing him in the ribs.

"Would you like to come up?" asked Teddy, glancing at Max. He did not remove his arm; he actually tightened his hold, smiling. He could feel Max's tense shoulders beneath. "Mitzie and June are coming over later."

"Ooh, I miss them!" Anne said, happy. "We'd love to come up, thanks!"

Max and Teddy led them up, showing off their tiny but cozy flat. It was painted white, with grey and light blue furniture; warm drinks were made, the friends lounged about, talking over what had happened since graduation almost seven months ago.

It was easy to fall into a comfortable position on the love seat together; Max's legs on Teddy's lap, Teddy playing with Max's curls. Their old friends didn't seem to care. Mitzie and June were pleasantly surprised when they arrived, giving the hosts a proud smile.

Later, when everyone had gone home, they lay under the duvet in their shared bed. It was a luxury that had once seemed impossible. To be together, tangled and sleepy; sweet, warm breath on bare skin, hair tickling an ear. Never letting go.

"I'm so happy." Max whispered in the darkness of their bedroom.

Teddy smiled into his collar bone, where he was contently snuggled. "Hmm...me, too."

"I –"

"Shh," Teddy mumbled, nuzzling him. "Sleep, my love."

Max held Teddy close, closing his eyes and unable to go to sleep to dream when he was already living one.

A/N: Awww, my babies! They're so sweet.

Question: What is next for our boys?

Rose