Chapter Sixty | Hester House, November 30th, 2020

Chapter Sixty

Hester House, November 30th, 2020

Andrew waited by the window in the living room, brow creased. He knew this day would come, having three daughters, but it still seemed rather sudden. It seemed like only yesterday he had been able to pick Ella up, and now she was bringing a boy home.

As his oldest girl, Ella had always baffled him. Well, all his girls baffled Andrew. However, Ella was special; she looked so much like Hazel, especially in the recent years. Sometimes he would be surprised to turn and see a shadow of his mother, playing with the other kids, talking with Amara, reading. It was like living with a ghost.

Amara entered the living room, wiping her hands on a dishtowel. "Drew, you're not going to make too much of a fuss, are you?"

Turning, Andrew tried to look convincing. "Remember when I met your parents?" he chuckled, putting his hands on her waist. "I was terrified."

"And early." Amara teased. "Do you remember how I defended our relationship to my father? He thought it was going too fast."

"I remember."

"It's the same time of year, actually." Mused Amara, glancing out the window, gasping. "They're here! Look, Drew – he's handsome!"

Andrew closed the curtains hastily. "We don't want them to know we were waiting!" he cried. "She'll think we're old and lame."

"We are old and lame," argued Amara, peeking out. "Ohh, they're holding hands!" she squealed.

"Let me see." Andrew spied out the curtains. "I suppose he's all right looking."

"Oh hush, and be nice." Practically skipping to the door, Amara glanced over her shoulder. "Really honey, I mean it. Ella looks so happy."

Standing on the porch, waving to his daughter and the boy, Andrew realized his wife was right – Ella did look happy.

         Ella nervously held onto Jonathan's hand, looking over the trees at the peak of Hester House. "That's it," she told him, pointing. "Just there."

"Do you live in a castle or something?" he asked, only half joking. Jonathan had grown up hard, she knew that. With a father who had never been there, two older sisters and one younger brother, it had not been easy for his mother.

"No, and it's been in the family for a long, long time." The bare tree branches rattled together, and after rounding the bend the full view of Hester House appeared. The large wrap around porch looked grander than Ella had ever realized, and the library and other towers span into the sky, two bridges connecting them.

"Woah." Jonathan whistled. "That's crazy looking."

"He was a bit eccentric." Spotting the curtains being yanked closed, she sighed. "They're looking out the window."

Jonathan laughed, putting his arm around her shoulders and pulling her close. "It's going to be fine Ella."

"My Ma will be overly excited, but Pa..."

Amara appeared on the porch, waving. Andrew appeared behind her, looking almost shy. "Quickly now, it's chilly." She said, running down the steps in her stocking feet.

"Hullo love," she hugged Ella quickly then turned to Jonathan. "You must be the Seeker!"

"That's me, yeah." Jonathan smiled, very charming, and held out his hand. Amara ignored it and gave him a hug.