Chapter Sixteen | London, January 2001

Chapter Sixteen

London, January 2001

               The walk up to Amara’s old home had never seemed so long, or so foreboding. Andrew didn’t want to do this, didn’t want to lose his other family. Amara’s old yellow house looked as warm, cozy and inviting as ever, but Andrew didn’t want to go in.

“They will SHUN me, Mara.” Said Andrew, bouncing on his toes. There was no snow in London, just bitter, rainy cold, leaving the streets icy and empty.

“They won’t shun you, Drew.” Amara rolled her eyes. “Both my parents are very open minded, and they love you – don’t worry.”

“Who said I was worried? I’m not worried.”

“You couldn’t even dress properly this morning. You’re nervous.”

“I am not!”

“It took you five minutes to put your shoes on correctly, Andrew.”

“Fine, I’m nervous – I’m worried.” He admitted, unbuttoning the top button of his collar. “They’re going to make you divorce me or something! Burn me at the stake, drown me and see if I float!”

“Andrew, come on –”

“They’ll hate me!”

“Listen –”

“Better check our life insurance on stake burnings, honey!”

“Andrew Bowen, just listen to me, dammit!” Amara shouted, sea glass eyes icy.

Andrew stared at her. It was rare that Amara raised her voice; her tall form was tense, fists clenched. Her engagement and wedding ring circled white knuckles.

“Will you listen for a second, please?”

He nodded, looking sheepish.

“Okay, thank you. I know –” she stopped, taking a deep breath. “We want to have children, Andrew, and as far as we know they will have magical abilities. I’ve been talking with Sonia about it, and says that the magic genes overpowers the Muggle ones more often than not. Magical children often can’t control their power, and I am not going to hide my children from my parents. They need to know.”

“Well we’re not trying or anything so I don’t see why the rush –”

“I’ll make you a deal.” She said, crossing her arms.

He stopped, giving her a suspicious look. “A deal?”

“Yes. On our first anniversary, if you tell my parents, I’ll go off the pill.”