Chapter Eleven | The Ministry of Magic, March 1999

Chapter Eleven

The Ministry of Magic, March 1999

                   The door of Andrew’s little office shut quickly behind him as he rushed forwards, breathing deeply. How he hated the large crowds, the bustle and crunch of walking from the elevator to his office, the cheery hellos and good morning’s.

Alone in his office once more, Andrew attempted to slow his breathing, calm his heart. Honestly, he thought, what is wrong with me?

Just as he settled at his desk, the door to his office opened with a bang, revealing the grin of his boss. Phoebus was a jolly old man, with a receding hairline and a sleepy smile, oddly resembling a mole, probably because of the amount of time he spent in the dark.

“Ah, Bowen!” he said, entering the office and looking around. Star charts were pinned up on the revolving blackboards, and a glass ball in the corner showed specific parts of the universe; at the moment it depicted a small part of the Milky Way. “How are you this morning?”

“Er, fine sir, thank you. And yourself?” it was then that Andrew noticed the young man behind Phoebus, incredibly tall and rather lanky, not how Andrew was tall but lithe.

“Fine, fine Bowen, thank you! I’m sure you’ve heard by now of the work we are doing with the Runes and Symbols department, hmm?”

“Yes sir, I have.”

“Well, they needed a star-man, and I knew you were just right for the job!” Phoebus studied a chart of the seven moons of Valtus. “You’ve been doing good work here for us in the past nine months, and I think you will benefit this project. It’s only for a little while, might get you out of this office for once, eh?”

“Er, yes sir?”

Phoebus turned around and ushered the tall man in “This is Roger Willis, your partner for this research project. Willis, I expect I will see you at lunch later with Jones?”

“Yes sir, I look forward to it!” he had a slight accent that Andrew couldn’t quite place, and a very toothy grin. Turning to Andrew as Phoebus left, he flashed the same crooked, pearly whites. “So partner, where do we start?”

                   Sonia walked through the Ministry with purpose. Kingsley had invited her to his office, insisting she bring Max along so he could meet Hazel’s grandson. He had offered her a position with him.

“I don’t understand.” Was all Sonia could say.

“What I’m saying is I’d like you to work for me.” Said Kingsley, leaning forward “You’re very smart Mrs. Weasley, your mother told me that much – you are one of the few people who knew her well that is still, well, er –”

“Alive?” asked Sonia coldly. “Because you’re wrong. My mother in law, Molly Weasley, she has known –” she took a deep breath “ – she knew my mother for twenty-five years.”