Chapter Fifty-Four | Hester House, May 2, 2018

Chapter Fifty-Four

Hester House, May 2nd 2018

Robin Bowen loved space. He loved how the stars you were looking at were already gone, the possible existence of life in outer space. His older sisters couldn't care less about the Muggle aspect of space, but Robin loved it.

It was a clear spring night, and he knew from the Muggle news station there was supposed to be a myriad of falling stars that night. His room was on the far end of the house, and he loved to climb out his window and look at the sky with his telescope. That is where he sat when his cousin Max came in.

"Robbie, it's time for bed." He poked his head out the window, grinning.

"But Max –"

"Now, Robin. Your folks will kill me if you're tired tomorrow."

"You get to stay up!" he defied.

"I'm almost twenty, you're nine."

"What about Maeve?" he asked, climbing back into his bedroom.

"Maeve passed out hours ago, as seven year olds do." Max pushed him gently towards the bed. "C'mon mate, don't be difficult."

"Is Teddy coming over?"

"Later, maybe."

Robin sniggered as he climbed into bed. "Are you two gonna snog on the couch like last time?"

Going red, Max pulled the covers over him. "If that will keep you up here in bed, then yes."

"When will Papa and Mamma be home?"

"Late tonight or tomorrow, they're not sure."

"Can I –?"

"Sleep, Robin."

"Fine." He said as Max switched out the light and said goodnight.

The silence crept through the room, and though Robin was sleepy he fought to stay awake – he could still see the falling stars from bed. The grand clock in the foyer struck ten-thirty, and he yawned. No falling stars yet.

Suddenly the clock struck again, for eleven-thirty. He had fallen asleep. Outside the window stars were falling, but inside was a figure.

"Hullo?" he whispered. It was small, not like his tall Mamma, and wore a long dress.

The figure turned around, and Robin realized he could see the stars through her. "Come see, Robin." She whispered.

Not scared, Robin got out of bed and crept over quietly. He went up to the figures shoulder, and she gazed kindly down at him. "Pretty, aren't they?" she asked, then sighed. "Your Papa must be disappointed he missed this for some function."

"Its for the war," Robin told her. "Our Nana Hazel is being recognized for her efforts." He looked closely at the figure, confused. "Hey, you look like her. Funny."

"Funny." She repeated, looking out and up at the stars. "Are you scared Robin?"

"No," he said. "Not sure why, but I'm not."

"You do know what I am, don't you?"

"A ghost. I saw one at Hogwarts once, when Papa visited." He studied her transparent face. "You're Nana Hazel, huh?"

She smiled. "Clever boy."

"Papa misses you, I can tell." Robin held his hand by hers, as if holding it. She was oddly warm, unlike the other ghost he had met or heard of. "On your birthday he leaves flowers on your grave."