Chapter Fifty-Seven | Diagon Alley, February 2019

Chapter Fifty-Seven

Diagon Alley, February 2019

          Sonia stood nervously in Diagon Alley, bouncing on her toes. A lacy frost covered the ground and every once and a while, a snowflake drifted from the woolly sky. Chin tilted to the clouds, Sonia looked up at the windows of a flat above Flourish and Blots. A soft glow came from within, and sporadically a shadow moved past. This was the home of her son and his boyfriend.

Before she lost her courage, Sonia rung the bell. There was a clattering of steps, the door opened – and it wasn't Max.

"Sonia?" Teddy gawked. He hadn't seen his aunt – of sorts – in five years.

"Hi." Sonia said, looking nervously past him. "Is – um – is Max home?"

"Uh, hi. He's at work, but he'll be home soon." Stepping back, he offered her a kind smile. "Want to wait for him?"

Sonia backed away from the door. "I don't know, this is his home –"

"It's our home," he opened the door wider. "And I'm inviting you in."

Petrified, Sonia nodded. "Okay. Thank you."

Teddy led her up stairs, into the cozy living room. It was surreal, to see a home her son had crafted for himself. After offering her a seat on a saffron yellow couch, Teddy went to make a pot of tea. Sitting alone, Sonia wondered why she had refused Charlie's company. Max had always listened to his father's reason.

Returning, Teddy sat in a deep turquoise armchair. "Have you see Charlie, or Andrew?"

"Both of them. I'm back at Ivy House."

He looked shocked. "When did that happen?"

"Two nights ago." She held the mug for warmth, not drinking it. "Charlie and I've had a lot to talk about."

Teddy stared at his hands. "He's still hurting you know, still angry."

"I know." She hung her head. "I never wanted to hurt him, Teddy."

"Well you did." He snapped. "He was struggling already and you left him when he needed you most."

"I know –"

"You don't." he looked at the picture on the mantel, Max holding a small potted plant, covered in dirt and beaming. "You weren't there Sonia, so no, you don't know."

"Teddy, I'm not saying didn't do anything wrong. What I did was...was horrible." She hung her head. "I was sick, and I think part of me has always been sick. I went to a therapist, you know."

"Seriously?"

"A year ago last month, yeah. She confirmed what I thought. I've always been sick, and it has ruined my relationship with my son – and I don't want my depression to rule my life." Sonia finished with purpose, with only a slight tremble in her voice.

"They diagnosed you?"

"Almost immediately."

"Sonia, he's not going to forgive you just because –"

"I'm going to work on it." She said. "I need to have him in my life again, and I'm ready to try. He won't give me the chance if you don't support it, Ted." Reaching over, Sonia grabbed his hand. "Please. Please."

"Okay." Teddy nodded and squeezed her hand.

Just then, the door opened and Max walked in, babbling. "You won't believe what I had to deal with today Ted, and did you get the milk? I know I was supposed to yesterday but I –"