Chapter Forty-Three | Hogwarts, February 2015

Chapter Forty-Three

Hogwarts, February 2015

            Students drifted into the great hall rubbing their eyes, ties loose and shirts un-tucked. Teddy and Max walked from the Hufflepuff common room together, still bleary with sleep.

“Hey.” Teddy stopped Max and raised his violet eyebrows suggestively. “Wanna duck in for a minute?”

Max eyed the broom closet beside them. “We might miss breakfast…”

“C’mon…” whined Teddy, pulling on his collar. “I’ll make it worth your while.”

“Fine.” Max checked to see if anyone was around and opened the closet door, casting a quick delusion spell to make sure no one paid any special attention to this particular closet.

Ducking in, Teddy’s lips were on his faster than any snitch. “Missed you.” He said between pecks. “Been a few days.”

“Hmm.” Max arched his back as Teddy nuzzled his neck. “Haven’t been able to – ah – get away.” He loved it when Teddy brushed his fingers along his lower spine.

“You’re such a tease.” Teddy chided.

“Just shut up, will you?” Max breathed, pressing kisses to Teddy’s collar bone. “We’ll never get anything done and get to breakfast if you keep talking.”

“Can all you think about is food, Max?”

“And you.” Max grinned against Teddy’s skin. “I’m always thinking of you.”

Teddy tried to hide his shock; Max didn’t usually say such things. It was Teddy who initiated these broom closet snogs, Teddy who said the sweet things. Max was still nervous about the whole…affair. He was afraid of it, Teddy knew it.

It hurt really, to know the boy he cared for was so fearful of him. For now he would just enjoy these secret broom closet snogs. He kissed Max with a new drive, wondering what he had done to spur such a… affectionate thought.

Still flushed, Teddy and Max headed to the Great Hall to catch the ends of breakfast. Reaching the grand staircase they spotted a figure sprinting down the steps, too energized for a Monday morning. “Max!” Ella ran up to her cousin, a mass of sunny curls bouncing as she beamed at them. “Guess what?”

“Too early.” Max replied.

“What?” Teddy yawned, elbowing Max in the side.

“Look on the board!” she pointed to the message board by the great hall, tugging them by their shirts over. “Hogsmeade.” Then, with glee, added “On Valentines Day.”

The boys only woke up a little. Valentines Day seemed like such an odd thing when you’re only affection was shown in broom closets, secret passages and the empty owlry.

“Aren’t you excited?” Ella asked, bewildered by their lack of response. “Neither of you fancy anyone enough to ask them for Valentines Day?”

“We usually go down together, it’s more fun.” Teddy told her.

“You’re not even old enough to go anyway, why are you so interested?” asked Max snippily, avoiding Teddy’s gaze.

Before Ella could reply, someone said Max’s name in a nervous voice.

It was June Massey, a Ravenclaw in their year. “Hey, June.” Max said, smiling uncomfortably.

“Um – I was just wondering if you were going to Hosgmeade with anyone?” she blurted, pushing her chunky glasses up her nose; they made her dark eyes appear quite large.

Max was mortified. “Er, no I don’t.” He saw Teddy’s hands turn to fists.

June’s dark skin tinged pink. “Would you like to go together?”

“Sure – um – yeah.” Max didn’t want to say yes. He wanted to let June – a perfectly lovely girl – down easy and go burry his face in Teddy’s neck. He wanted to take Teddy to Hogsmeade and buy him liquorice wands and throw snowballs at him. He did not want to say yes to June Massey.

June stared at him, a little surprised he had actually said yes. “Oh, great! Um, shall we meet at ten tomorrow?”

“Sounds good, yeah.” June practically skipped off and Max felt like throwing up. Teddy’s hair was a violent shade of yellow-green. He was jealous.

“Oh wow.” Said Ella dreamily. “You’ve got a date for Valentines!” she giggled. “I can’t wait to tell Mamma!”

“Yeah, wow.” Teddy spat. “You know, this is great.” His voice was low, menacing. “I was tired of you holding me back, and you know what? This means I can ask someone to Hogsmeade for a change.”

“What?” Max was still dazed.

“I’ve wanted to for ages.” Teddy said, crossing his arms. “This means I can ask – um – Victoire.”

“Victoire?” They all knew Victoire fancied Teddy, had for a while. She would no doubt say yes to him. “My cousin?”

“Yeah.” Teddy began walking away. “Hey, Victoire!”

Victoire turned, mane of silvery blonde hair shifting like a piece of silk; she smiled, a vision in her Ravenclaw robes. “Good morning Ted, heading this way?”

“I am, and you know, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask.” Teddy shot Max a smug look over his shoulder, disappearing down the hall with Victoire.

“Max?” asked Ella after a few moments. “What – ah – what exactly just happened?”

Max stared at the hall Teddy had disappeared down. “Let’s get some breakfast.”

“But –”

Now, Ella.”

A/N: Ooohh...things just got SERIOUS.

Question: How do you think the boys' dates will go? Desasterous? Well? You'll see in the next chapter...

Rose

P.S Happy Easter/Passover/Long Weekend!