Chapter Fourteen | Romania Dragon Reserve, July 2000

Chapter Fourteen

Romania Dragon Reserve, July 2000

            The leafy walk leading up to Charlie’s old cottage was familiar to Sonia, and as she stood beneath the towering pines with Max on her hip she remembered that day almost three years ago. Possibly pregnant, scared, and very nauseous.

“Dagon!” cried Max, bouncing in his mother’s arms.

“Yes honey, we’re going to see the dragons.”

“An’ Daddy!” he added, clapping his hands as they left the cottage and headed towards the reserve. Only the permanent staff where still there on a Saturday afternoon, and they waved to Dave, the head of the reserve.

“Where’s Charlie at?” asked Sonia as Max nuzzled her neck, unusually shy around all the large, scarred men at the reserve.

“You know that Welsh Green we got from Wales? He’s up there.” Dave smiled at Max “Hey buddy, happy to see your Daddy this weekend?”

Nodding, Max gripped onto Sonia’s white collared shirt, looking up at Dave through long lashes. “He’s pretty shy.” Explained Sonia.

“A sweetheart though.” Said Dave “See you at supper Sonia?”

“Yeah, see you later Dave.” They headed towards the temporary pen, where they saw Charlie inspecting the eggs in the huge nest. The welsh green was asleep, curled up like a cat a little ways away.

“Daddy!” Max cried, and Charlie looked up, freckled face lighting up at the sight of his family standing at the side of the pen.

“Hey Maxxie, give me a sec, okay?”

“Kay!”

Charlie finished looking over the eggs and jumped on his broom, soaring up and through the barrier thanks to his pass that allowed him through the field keeping the dragons in.

“Maxxie boy, c’mere!” taking Max from Sonia, Charlie peppered his son’s face with kisses. “Did you go see the baby dragons with Mamma?”

“Ya!” said Max, “Baby dagon sleepy, we shush.”

“Good boy, Max, we need to let the babies sleep, right?”

Max nodded seriously. “Ick need sleepy too.” Max had taken to calling his little cousin Victoire ‘Ick’ because he couldn’t pronounce the ‘V’.

“What’s the occasion for such a surprise?” asked Charlie, setting Max down so he could run ahead along the path.

“Just felt like visiting.” She said, shrugging.

Later in the evening the clear blue skies were gone, replaced with rolling storm clouds and flashing lighting. It was shortly after the first burst of lightning that Andrew stumbled through the fireplace with Amara, both beaming.