Chapter Three | Ivy House, June 1998

Chapter Three

Ivy House, June 1998

            A crib made with wood that would never splinter stood in a room in Ivy House, waiting for the baby that would occupy it. Curled up in the rocking chair, Sonia stared blankly out the window at the rainy day. The sky was a being, a whole new force of nature with its rolling clouds of ochre and rapid lightning.

Sonia saw it all through heavy lids, and Charlie watched her from the doorway. It was becoming evident that Sonia was more than just hurting over Hazel’s death, not only mourning – she was collapsing into herself. It hurt Charlie like nothing else to see her revert to the sixteen year old she had once been.

“Hey.” he said softly, not moving from the doorway. Somehow the nursery had become a dark place in the house, somewhere Sonia sat for hours on end, tracing the wood of the cradle she had once inhabited, clutching the stuffed bear Hazel had bought for their baby months ago. “How about a walk? Winston owled, he made a stew for supper. Want to go over?”

Shifting slightly in the chair, Sonia clutched a blanket and pulled it tight “You go on, I’m not hungry.”

“You need to eat, honey.” Charlie could hear the pleading in his voice, but that was what had to he done. At six months pregnant Sonia couldn’t afford to starve her sadness away.

“Don’t pester me, Charlie.”

“I’m not pestering, I’m looking out for you.” he said, “What have you eaten today?”

“I had tea earlier, some toast. I’ll eat later.” Curling away from him, Sonia continued to observe the oncoming storm, anticipating the rain.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Charlie glanced around the nursery “Fine. I’ll stop trying to help you, just – just continue drawing away from me. I can’t believe you’re doing this to us Sonia, to our baby.”

Looking away from the window, Sonia glared at him, with as much electricity as the lighting outside.

“I love our baby,” she said hollowly “I would never hurt them.”

“So do something!” cried Charlie “Go for a walk, eat– talk to me.”

Sonia merely stared at him, so Charlie stormed out. Purposefully stomping on the stairs – like a child, he thought. How immature – he threw open the door, only to see the rain had begun to pour in the few seconds it had taken him to storm out.

Tears stung behind Charlie’s eyes as he slammed the font door shut, then sunk onto the outdoor couch on the small porch. The cushions were a little damp, but he was mostly sheltered by the ivy hanging over the porch like a waterfall, rippling in the wind.

“I’m an idiot.” He said aloud, the words instantly stolen by the weather. “Why am I such an idiot?”

Charlie knew why he was an idiot, actually – because he had this idea in his head what these months should be like, the time leading up to the birth of their baby. Unfortunately for them, it wasn’t like that idea at all. He had to accept that Sonia was struggling – her mother had died.

If his mother had died, Charlie knew he would be a mess. Sonia would be there for him, supportive and making tea – why couldn’t he be the same? Maybe it was because of the war, the friends they had lost. The brothers.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, Charlie decided to be the better man that day. Going back inside he returned to the nursery where Sonia was now standing by the crib, running her hand along the wood.

“Sonia?”

Looking up, she tried to hold her face in a firm mask, but he saw her chin tremble.

“Oh, honey.” He said softly, wrapping her in his arms, hugging her sideways. It was difficult to embrace face to face, with her belly getting in the way. It may have been inconvenient, but Charlie loved it. “I’m sorry love, really I am – I just haven’t been myself.”

“Neither have I.” she sobbed into his chest.

“Let’s try to be happier, eh?” Charlie lifted her chin with his finger and smiled “Think of how we were in the beginning, minus the sneaking around. The fun we had, the good times – lunch with your Mum and going to fairs.”

Nodding, Sonia clung to him, her dark curls wild and tickling his nose. “Okay.”

Leading her to bed, they had sardines and toast in bed – and Sonia didn’t even resist. The storm raged on, and the next morning Sonia woke up and went for a walk. She even hummed while she went, and Charlie went to work feeling okay for the first time in a while about leaving her alone.

A/N: I don't have much to say other than I'm in Amsterdam, eating a lot of chocolate and not having much time to write.

Question: What gender and name would you like Sonia and Charlie's baby to be?

Rose<3