Chapter Seventy-Eight | Potter House, July 2021

Important announcement below!! You don't wanna miss this one, I promise!

Chapter Seventy-Eight

Potter House, July 2021

Harry Potter stood in his study, in the spot he used to have a crib. A crib, he had learned twenty-three years ago, had belonged to Sonia and Andrew. Outside his window was a flourishing garden where his children had played, he had spent many warm evenings such as this with friends.

"Harry?" Ginny appeared in the office doorway, her hair up in the kind of high ponytail Harry loved. "I'm off to the game, and Lily's going to Autumn Couman's place down the road."

Lily popped up behind her mother. "Have fun with Auntie Sonia, Dad!" she called, shoving on a pair of shoes, sweeping her own ginger hair into a ponytail.

"We'll have a nice time, I think." Said Harry thoughtfully, looking his over at daughter. She was thirteen now, and was a spitting image of her mother; freckled, strong and had wild temper. "Enjoy yourself Lily, and – be careful."

"O'course Dad." She practically bounced over to peck his cheek.

"Where are the boys today?" Asked Ginny. "I've forgotten already."

"I believe James is with Hester in London, and he drove Albus down to that LGBT – ah what're the letters– march. He's meeting Teddy and Max in the city."

"LGBTQA plus Dad." Lily giggled. "Albus is covered in glitter, Mum."

"Whatever makes him happy. That march is in London?" Ginny was rifling through her purse. "Honey, my keys?"

"In the kitchen, and yes, it is."

Ginny stopped suddenly, looking up at him with that x-ray stare. "Are you giving Sunny the –"

"Yup." Harry smiled, twiddled his thumbs.

"Well, good luck honey. Tell Sonia I said hullo." Ginny leaned on the banister, shouting, "LILY! Lets go!"

Soon Ginny and Lily had left, and Harry was alone in his home. He left his study to go upstairs, to look at the plaque on Hazel's bedroom door. It was no longer full of her things, as he had taken out the personal bits long ago and returned them to the twins. It was a guest room now, but he couldn't bear to take down the plaque. He wasn't sure how long he'd been standing there when the doorbell rang, but he waited a moment longer.

Sonia was standing on his steps, in what appeared to be the same pair of boys jeans she worshipped back in the summer of '97, the cuffs rolled up.

"What a relic." He teased as she hugged him tightly.

"Hush, I cleaned out the attic the other day." She looked healthy and happy, Harry realized. Her eyes were bright, and she wasn't too skinny, the jeans didn't hang the same way the had at seventeen years old. "You look good! It's been a while."

Harry shrugged, not wanting to admit that he did feel good, though age and war seemed to have begun to catch up on him. "I've set up the garden, c'mon through."

They headed to the back of the house, comfortably messy, just as Harry liked it. Quidditch equipment was stashed in every cupboard, old textbooks, newspapers and kids drawings scattered on most surfaces. The garden was warm, and they took refuge beneath the shade of an old willow. Harry poured some iced tea, they commented on the weather, and then fell into silence.

"I've been thinking about Sirius a lot lately." Harry said slowly. "And your Mum."

"I have, too." She stirred her drink with a straw, looking over at the green-trimmed house. "I think it's because we're turning forty-one."