Chapter Fifty-One | Germany, August 2017

Dedicated to MaddieFinnigan13 for hoping that Hazel would come back and help the people she loves. What a wonderful wish.

Chapter Fifty-One

Germany, August 2017

A healer dabbed the sweat from Sonia Bowen's brow, glancing at the clock as it struck an early hour of the morning.

"She is not well," she muttered to another nurse.

"Who is she, Mrs. Knauf?" inquired the younger.

The elder nurse glanced at her notepad. "English, she keeps on asking for a Charlie Weasley." She gently pushed the damp curls back from Sonia's forehead.

"Where did they find her?"

"Stop being nosy." Then she sighed. "She collapsed in a hotel lobby with her bags. Now listen, contact the English and find that Mr. Weasley – and fetch me some of that cooling potion!"

The young nurse's head bobbed eagerly. "Yes Mrs. Knauf."

Mrs. Knauf sighed again and went about tucking Sonia in, muttering prayers. Even after years of living in the magical society, her Muggle habit of prayer had never faded. This poor soul did seem to need it.

Sonia often dreamed she was in Ivy House, wandering empty halls. A child's cry could be heard but she could never find them. Sometimes she would come across her father sitting in Max's nursery, rocking a red headed baby.

That is where she found herself one night, in the heat of cotton sheets and a foreign language.

"He's a good baby." Severus Snape would say, rocking Max gently, fingers tugging at the blanket.

Though Sonia knew Max was grown, safe somewhere with Teddy and Charlie, Andrew watching over them all, she felt terror. The unknown man that was her father held her only child.

"Give him to me," She demanded, then added, "Please."

Severus gave her a disgusted look. "You left, why do you want him now?"

"I waited until he was older, at Hogwarts. He's okay."

"Is he?" Severus smirked. "You want him? Here." He tossed Max into the air, across the nursery.

Sonia caught him, holding him to her chest. On her knees, she pulled the blankets back to see Max – but it wasn't her son. It was Nora, her little girl; underdeveloped, red and waxy.

"You don't deserve them." Taunted Severus, snatching Nora back. In his arms she morphed into a healthy, rosy newborn.

"Please, just let me hold her." Sonia begged, still on her knees. She felt as empty as she had when first losing Nora.

Severus tugged a red curl on Nora's head. "You lost her once, whose to say you won't again?"

"That wasn't my fault!" she sobbed. "Please Severus – give me my daughter."

"Severus."

Sonia's head whipped around, seeing Hazel in the doorway. "Go away." She said firmly. "Give me the baby." Severus sighed and gave Nora to hazel, disappearing. Hazel knelt with the baby, giving her to Sonia.

Sonia snatched the baby, holding her close. "Mamma, I'm going crazy."

"Only a little, honey, and that is probably just the fever." Hazel soothed. "She is a pretty baby, isn't she?"

Nodding, Sonia pressed a loving kiss to Nora's red curls. "I hate myself every day for losing her."

"We've spoken of this, Sonia – it's not your fault."

"I know it's not, but I still feel bad. Max and Charlie's unhappiness is, though."

Hazel took her daughter's hand. "You can fix that."

Sonia sniffed. "I don't if I can anymore, Mamma. I think it's too late."

"It's never too late." Said Hazel, standing. "Enjoy your dreams, my girl."

"Mamma? Ma – where are you going?"

Hazel smiled. "See you soon."

"That's what you said last time!" she cried, getting up, but Hazel was gone.

In her dreams, Sonia spent her days with Max, Nora and Charlie. She watched Nora grow through the days and nights she spent in feverish sleep.

From a swaddled babe to an adventurous child, then a willowy teen; Nora fought with her parents, adored her brother, and went to Hogwarts. She lived well and fully in her mother's dreams, but not in life.

From her spot on the porch, she watched Max chase Nora around their front yard, threatening to tickle her if she didn't admit defeat – he was a better Quidditch player.

"Sonia?" Charlie called from inside the house. "Sonia, love, please..."

Stirring, Sonia's eyes fluttered open. There, eyes as kind as the day she left, was Charlie. His hands were clasped, body leaned towards her. "Charlie?" she whispered, voice hoarse. She coughed, and he raised a straw to her lips.

"Hey," he said softly. "You had me worried." His voice was like honey, as sweet as she remembered it. Sonia heard his voice in her dreams.

"How did you...?"

"Hush, not now." He hesitated for a moment. "May I – is it okay if I –?"

Sonia grabbed his hand. "Please."

In a few days, after Charlie had left and her fever broke, Sonia would barely remember the hushed, loving words her husband had whispered. The memory of holding his hand for the first time in five years vanished in the heat of illness. The vague memory of Charlie promising he would wait lingered.

When she left the hospital, Sonia was half convinced the entire thing had been a dream.

A/N: Oh, how I miss Charlie. He is too good to be true.

Question: Thoughts on Charlie promising he would wait for Sonia? It's been five years, yet he is still ever as faithful...

Happy Canada Day!

Rose