Chapter 13

Lisa's POV

HALLOWEEN! Ghosts, goblins, zombies, costumes, and most importantly...CANDY! Halloween is the best holiday, after Christmas of course. It's the day of free candy and cavities!

But guess what, while everyone is getting free candy, I'm stuck at the gym practicing. God I really want to quit, I'm always so close to quitting. But Lalisa Manoban is not a quitter!

I walked towards the gym and heard balls dribbling. Did we start early today? I checked the time on my phone and it said 3:30. No way we should be starting this early, we always start around 5. I peeked my head in and saw my JV coach. He is practicing with the new team. Whew I'm safe, I ain't late. I walked in and looked at the new recruits. They were all freshmen girls.

I was walking around to go to the locker room until one of the girls from the team caught me eye. No way is that??

Nancy?

What the heck is she doing here playing for the team? As far as I'm concerned she was on the volleyball team. Oh yeahhh! Now I remember! A couple days back the Mystery Gang (Jennie, Rosé, Bambam, and I) were talking about how Nancy got kicked off the team.

She apparently copied someone's book report, but she was stupid to leave the same date and different period so the teacher found out. Then the volleyball team decided to kick her off since she plagiarized the project. She also was trying soccer but I guess that didn't work out cause now she is playing basketball.

I smiled to myself and took my phone out. I took a boomerang of the girls practicing and wrote a note that said "Let's go JV girls 🍞"

I put it on my story and went to the locker room. I changed into a white muscle tank top and black shorts. After I finished changing I climbed on top of the bleachers. They weren't pulled out yet so I had to climb up there like a monkey.

I dragged my backpack up and started doing my homework. I put my headphones in my ears and started to play my playlist.

To be young and in love in New York City (New York City)
To not know who I am but still know that I'm good long as you're here with me
To be drunk and in love in New York City
Midnight into morning coffee
Burning through the hours talking

I tapped my pencil with the beat of the song. At this point I wasn't doing my homework, I was so distracted with the song that I was just drumming my book with my pencil.

Damn, I like me better when I'm with you
I like me better when I'm with you
I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time 'cause
I like me better when
I like me better when I'm with you

I stopped tapping as the chorus played. It reminded me of a certain someone.

I don't know what it is but I got that feeling (got that feeling)
Waking up in this bed next to you swear the room
Yeah, it got no ceiling
If we lay, let the day just pass us by
I might get to too much talking
I might have to tell you something

Damn, I like me better when I'm with you
I like me better when I'm with you
I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time 'cause
I like me better when
I like me better when I'm with you

I thought about Jennie. I really did like how I was with her. I felt more free and open with her. I didn't have to censor myself around her. I didn't have to worry about being "weird," in fact she liked me being weird because it was funny.

Stay awhile, stay awhile
Stay here with me
Stay awhile, stay awhile, oh
Stay here with me
Lay here with me

I like me better when I'm with you (yes, I do, yes, I do, babe)
I like me better when I'm with you (ooh, no)
I knew from the first time, I'd stay for a long time 'cause
I like me better when
I like me better when I'm with you

Better when, I like me better when I'm with you

When the song ended I texted Jennie because I missed her.

📱Me: I THINK IM GONNA ALWAYS HAVE TEAAAA
📱Me: YOU KNOW HOW YOU SAID NANCY WAS GONNA DO SOCCER? I SAW HER AT BASKETBALL PRACTICE TODAY!!!
📱Me: *Video*
📱Me: THAT FIRST PERSON IN LINE IS HERRRRR

The longest 5 minutes in my life pass and I get a response from her.

📱Jennie: Omg
📱Jennie: What the heck
📱Jennie: Y is she trying out for everything ughhh
📱Jennie: She got kicked off the volleyball team for cheating and she didn't show up for soccer tryouts?!
📱Jennie: 😑

I turn off my phone quickly because my coach walked into the gym. I remind myself that I will text Jennie later. I can't let the conversation die.