chapter fourteen ... something like that

Start from the beginning

As we climbed out of the car, Kingsley and Benjamin headed straight for the door but Elliott hung back a little bit. I turned to her with a reassuring smile and reached for her hand.

"Want to go somewhere else? We can go grab some half price appetizers somewhere if you'd rather," I told her, but she shook her head as she rubbed my arm with her free hand and smiled up at me.

"No, it's just that I've left plenty of parties with guys before but I've never actually showed up with one," she said sheepishly as she let her hair cover her face slightly. "Come on."

Elliott and I walked hand in hand up to the door and were greeted by one of my teammates who was already drunk.

"Hey man," he said as he slapped my shoulder. "Great game tonight. This your girl?"

"Something like that," I said as we slid past him and headed into the party.

Making our way into the kitchen, I poured her a vodka cranberry before I went into the fridge and grabbed a beer. Reaching for her hand once more, I lead her out of the crowded house and into the backyard. Finding two empty chairs close to the beer-pong tables, we both took a seat.

"Ever play beer pong?" I asked her as she sipped her drink.

"Not with beer," Elliott said quickly as she made a disgusted face. "I can't stand beer."

"Noted," I said with a smile as I took a sip of my own drink. Kingsley suddenly appeared out of nowhere and hugged Elliott from behind, rocking her side to side.

"I need to pee," Kingsley said as she removed her arms from around Elliott's neck and walked around to stand in front of her. "Come with me."

Elliott rolled her eyes but let Kingsley pull her to her feet. They linked hands and she started to drag Elliott back toward the house but not before she stopped by me to whisper in my ear.

"I'll be back. Don't miss me too much," Elliott teased.

"I'll try not to," I told her as I pushed a quick kiss to her cheek. Smiling as they walked away, Benjamin fell into the lawn chair Elliott was previously sitting in.

"She likes you, man," Benjamin said as he gestured his red solo cup toward the door in the girls wake. "Told me herself at the diner. So when are you going to finally make your move?"

Before I had the chance to answer his question, someone suddenly fell into my lap. Startled, I glanced up and scowled as I saw Laura twirling her extension ridden hair around her finger. Benjamin jumped up and grabbed her hand, yanking her off me before I had the chance to push her away.

"Okay, calm down," Laura snapped at Benjamin as she rested her hands on her hips. "I come in peace. In fact, I come with information."

"Not interested," I informed her dully as I turned my attention back to Benjamin.

"Are you sure? It involves your precious little Elliott."

I turned to her with narrowed eyes, growing more annoyed with her by the minute. Benjamin audibly groaned as he threw his head back against the chair.

"When will you let it go, Laura?" He snapped as he lifted his head to glare at her. "He's not interested anymore. He's moved on, you should, too."

"This doesn't concern you, Benjamin," Laura retorted as she crossed her arms over her chest.

She reached into her purse and pulled out her phone before holding it out for me to take. Rolling my eyes, I knew the quicker I obliged the sooner she'd leave.