chapter twelve ... indoor picnic

Alexithymia (n

Alexithymia (n.)
an inability to describe emotions in a verbal manner.
———

I awoke the next morning with the largest smile on my face. Rolling over onto my back, I grabbed the elephant that Cooper had won me the night before and hugged it tightly to my chest as I bit my lip. Taking a few minutes to bask in the recollection of the date, I finally slipped out of bed and took a quick shower.

Deciding to wear a simple pair of black leggings with a white tank and my jean jacket, I left my hair to air dry and didn't bother with any makeup. Walking out of my bedroom, I made my way into the kitchen and noticed Kingsley was nowhere to be seen. Spotting a piece of paper tapped to the fridge, I ripped it off and rolled my eyes.

El –

I ran out to get coffee since you so selfishly neglected me of my fill yesterday. Don't worry, I'll pick you up some, too.

King xx

Pulling out my phone to text her, I noticed I had a couple messages from Cooper and smiled softly.

Cooper: I had an amazing time tonight.

Cooper: Good morning, beautiful. I hope you have a great day.

Swiping over to my thread with Kingsley to thank her and ask if she was skipping class or not, I grabbed a granola bar out of the cabinet before turning my attention back to my phone. Returning to my conversation with Cooper, I hovered over my keyboard for a few moments before finally typing my reply.

Elliott: You must have the wrong number because I know you're not talking about me ;) I had a great time last night, too. Hope your day is as perfect as you are.

As soon as I hit send, it felt like my stomach was in my throat. I can't believe I just sent him that. I quickly started to cover my tracks, typing out an apology for coming on too strong when he replied.

Cooper: More like you hope my day is as perfect as you.

I smiled in content and locked my phone, walking over to the couch to flip on the television. As soon as I did, Kingsley came walking in the door with a bag in one hand and a carrier with two iced coffees in the other.

I groaned in enthusiasm as she handed me my coffee before she flopped down into the saucer chair. Pulling a wrapper out of the bag, she handed it to me and my eyes practically rolled into the back of my head as the smell of egg and sausage hit my nose.

"You're the best," I mumbled through a mouthful of food as she grinned at me and took a sip of her coffee. Kingsley shrugged her shoulders as if she already knew before she started eating her own breakfast burrito.