First Snow

17 years ago

I closed the door behind me and walk along the corridor, heading down to the kitchen. When I passed by the room of my parents, I heard loud voices of a man and woman, together with some sobs in between the argument. I slowly walk towards their room and placed my right ear on it. When I heard faint footsteps, I step back and run down the living room, afraid from getting caught.

I hurriedly turn on the television and switch to some cartoon before sitting on the couch. I stare at the screen but my mind repeats the words I heard before leaving from that door. I am leaving you. That's what my father said aloud.

I am afraid that it is true. I am afraid that he will really leave me and my mother. I am still at a young age to experience this suffering.

Not long after, the door in their room swung open with my mom's loud cries, begging for him to stay. I did not move an inch. I cannot even move my eyeballs to at least watch them. Seconds after, my father blocked my view from the screen. He knelt down in front of me while cupping my face, but I lower down my eyeballs so I won't meet his gaze.

"My son," he started. "Daddy is leaving. Your mom and I had some misunderstandings that we cannot resolve anymore." I feel my tears growing in my eyes but I swallowed hard to prevent those from falling. "Perhaps, do you want to come with me?"

"No! He is staying with me!" my mother shouted. That's when I look at my father's eyes. Pushing myself to ask a question.

"Why are you.... leaving us?" I quietly asked.  My father sighed and looks down. I repeated the question louder this time. I felt fat tears streaming down my face, I care no more.

"I already told you son. Soon, you will understand the problem. But now, you're too young to understand it."

"I rank first in our class. I always got A+ in my subjects. I can understand it if you explain it to me."

"That's different. Soon, my son. Soon." My father let go of my face and stood up, dragging the suitcase he brought with him. He opened the door and spoke, "I will come back to you, son. And I will explain everything."

"You don't have to. I won't listen." I said and stood up, running back inside my room.

17 years after

Since the departure of my father, I swore that I will never believe in love. I never dare to fall in love with anyone. I live my years taking care of my mother, which is enough for me. Her love is enough for me to live in this cruel world. I don't want to experince heartbreak ever again, but God had other plans for me.

"Sanghyuk-ah!" I turn my head from where I heard the voice when I saw him running towards me. He stopped in front of me and hold onto my shoulders, gulping and catching his breath.

"I've been looking for you. You didn't tell me you were just here." I pat the space beside me, signaling him to sit down. "Why?" I asked.

"You just left during my performance there. I can't follow you instantly so I waited for us to finish and look for you. Why did you left?" I shrugged. "It's too loud and too wild. Sorry." Wonshik placed his head on my shoulder. "It's okay, at least you came. You want to walk?"

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know. Just walk around the city." I nod and we both stood up, walking side by side. We let our feet guide us on wherever they would take us. I met Wonshik when we were in college. He's one year higher than me. Hakyeon hyung introduced us to each other since they are best friends, since Hakyeon hyung is now a trainee under an entertainment they are not allowed to leave the building. I promised him that I will take care of his beloved bestfriend.

Wonshik is a great person. He is sensible and incredible. Very talented and good in whatever he does. He's very caring and loving. In short, he's a total package. God knows how many times I denied my feelings for him because of what I promised to myself. I felt a hand on my wrist and pulled me back to reality. I saw some snow flakes pouring on us.

"It's the first snow.." I said with a small voice.

"Yes. Should we make a wish?" Wonshik smiled at me. I nod and closed my eyes, placing my both palms together across my chest. A few moments later, I opened my eyes and brought down my hands, breathing heavily with some smoke escapes from my mouth.

"Are you done?" I looked at Wonshik who is still smiling at me. I always adore his small smile. When his lips just make a thin line but his cheek bones are lifted. I nod.

"What did you wish?" I asked as I sniff due to the coldness this snow gives. Wonshik walk towards behind me, opening his long and thick coat before embracing me from the back. I froze, not even have a little energy to ask or look at him.

"I wish that I will have the courage to confess to you. I wish to perfectly express how I truly feel towards you, and it's happening. Sanghyuk-ah," He position his chin on my shoulder and tightens his embrace to me.

"I have liked you for so long. Maybe not before we first met, but the more I get to know you and the more I spend time with you, my love for you gets deeper and deeper. I never had the confidence to confess since you even told me that you don't believe in love because of what happened. However, I want to change your mindset to that. I want to teach you how to believe in love. I want you to love someone else aside from your mother and friends. Someone who is going to be at your side for the rest of your life, and I want it. I want to be that person. I want to be with you, to take care of you, to protect you, and to love you sincerely. I... hope that you'll give me a chance..." I found myself crying silently from what I heard. This is the first time I had encountered this kind of moment. I can't be happier. My heart beats so fast and I can't feel any stronger emotions aside from excitement and happiness. This is all I need.

I turned around to face Wonshik. He looks at me with a hope in his eyes. I smiled and placed my hands around his neck before closing the gap between us. I kissed him. The first ever kiss I had for 24 years of my existence.

I feel our lips moves in sync as our heads turn sides naturally. I tighten the grip on him and pull him even closer. If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up anymore. People that probably see us and the snow that pours down on us, we do not care anymore. As long as we are in each other's arms, that's the most important moment of our lives.

"I love you, Kim Wonshik." I whispered when we parted.