"Explain?" I question.

"It's simple," Sawyer cuts in. " Whit probably told your parents to make a big deal out of this. Proclaiming to the world that you're gone. My parents offer to help pay, but they'll never have to pay a cent because they know where we are, or where you are." He points to me.

"My parents don't anything about anything. I need to warn them."

Sawyer steps in front of me, blocking my path. "You know you can't do that, Opal."

"Move out of my way. My family is in danger and you or anyone in this room can't stop me."

Sawyer pulls me back, "they're not in any danger. It would bring too much attention and they don't want that. The less they know the better. Your family isn't questioning the story your uncle Whit gave so they'll leave them alone."

"But my mom. My dad. My brother." I whisper, "they all must be worried. I need to somehow tell them I'm fine."

"They're going to have to stay worried a little longer." Sawyer tells me.

"How do we know her parents aren't in on this? Can we really trust anyone at this point?" Avery cuts in.

"My parents would never."

"You sure?" Jospeh cuts in.

"I'm positive."

"Oh good. Then it's safe for her to contact her parents." Avery speaks up.

Sawyer searches my face, and in a low voice says my name.

"Opal..."

"My parents are completely in the dark."

I guess after our conversation Sawyer trusts me enough to stay back all alone by myself. All of them went out to buy food and some clothes.

I thought about running away and finding a phone but something in me is holding me back. I think it's the scary woods.

My parents must be going crazy looking for me. I regret not saying bye. I have so much more I want to say to them and want to do with them. To try and clear my head and not think of my family I slowly creep upstairs. I have one flashlight and if it goes out I will definitely freeze in fear.

What are my parents thinking? Borrowing that much money from complete strangers. They must be desperate. They just want me home safe. 

I blink away tears as I slowly climb up the stairs. Not even a dead body can help me forget about my family.

The smell hits me first and I resist the urge to gag. I walk into the room and to the closed closet door, which is now open and the body is out and sprawled on the floor.

The light shines on the rotting flesh of its hand. Someone has to be looking for him? His concerned family? What if he didn't have anyone and no one knows he's dead? If only I could figure out how he died, when he died, or even know who the killer is. That would make me feel better, instead of idly doing nothing.

A tap on my shoulder sends me spinning. A small squeal escapes my lips and I fall to the ground, landing right on top of the dead body.

I scream when I realize where I am. I pull myself off, screaming at the top of my lungs.

"Oh, shit. Sorry. I thought you heard me coming in." Jospeh apologizes and tries to steady me but I push his arms out of the way and run out of the room screaming.

I still feel it beneath me. The cold smelly body. How frail and bony it was. I feel goosebumps rise as the lingering feeling stays.

"What the fuck is going on?" Sawyers at the bottom of the stairs and I just ram into him. He holds me in place as I sob into his chest. The warmth of his not so dead body giving me comfort. I shiver at the thought of the dead body and Sawyer hesitantly puts his arms around me, embracing me in a hug.