Dentist (anon)

"Are you feeling sick?" Calum asked, sitting back on the bed. The sun shone through the shut curtains, summer starting to make itself known.

Our neighbours were playing outside already, and Duke was plodding around downstairs. Calum brushed his hand through my hair, and looked down at me with concern on my face.

And I wasn't sick, but my tooth hurt like nothing I'd ever felt before.

"I couldn't help but notice all the painkillers had gone,"

"No,"

"Well I've not taken them, and Duke certainly hasn't,"

I shrugged and turned away, grimacing as my teeth clenched together. Calum rubbed my back, laying down next to me. He pulled my body closer to him and wrapped his arm round my waist.

"Charlotte, just tell me,"

"There's nothing,"

"If it's a toothache, I can help you,"

I stayed silent, already feeling my eyes burn.

"It is, isn't it?" he said quietly, "it's okay,"

"Calum,"

"It's okay, Charlotte, I can help," he said, turning my body to face him, "I can help,"

"It hurts,"

"I know, I know,"

Gently, he ran his fingers through my hair and shushed me as I sobbed.

I didn't want him to see- it was embarrassing. And I was scared.

"Let's get some breakfast, and go in. I could get another dentist so I can hold your hand?"

"No,"

"Okay,"

"It hurts too much to eat,"

"Shall we go now then?"

"I don't want to go,"

"Come on, I promise you that it will be okay. I'll be gentle,"

I shook my head and wiped my tears, letting him catch my hands and hold them. Calmingly, he rubbed small circles on them and kissed my head.

"I don't want it to hurt,"

"I can guarantee whatever happens will be far less painless than what you're facing,"

"What will you do?"

"I'll need to check before I tell you that, but I'll probably just fill it. How long has it been like this?"

"A couple of months,"

I expected him to look angry.

But he just looked hurt.

"Why did you keep it from me? You must be in so much pain," he said, brushing his thumb across my cheek. I flinched- panicking- and he held my head against his chest again.

"I'm scared, if you couldn't tell,"

He chuckled lightly and sat up, grabbing one of his hoodie and passing it to me. Obviously, I was nervous, but knowing Calum wouldn't hurt me was really comforting.

We got in the car and he took my hand, not playing any music or talking to me. He knew it would stop me becoming overloaded and overwhelmed.

That was the thing about Calum- he knew what to do to in every situation, and how to make me feel okay.

We arrived at the office and he told me to wait, my knees immediately coming onto the seat. I felt my chest tighten more, but the throbbing was so bad I thought I could pass out.

Again, the car door opened and this time Calum's arms were round me.

He guided me through the clinic, into his office where I sat on the chair. Only then did I realise his scrubs.

"I know I look scary, and like I'm in control but you've got the control here. It's just me, and if you need a break then we have a break,"

"Thankyou,"

"Breathe with me," he said, taking my hand to his chest, "I'm not starting while you're all worked up,"

"Will it stop hurting straight away?"

"It might ache, but you've got me and some painkillers. Duke will cheer you up," he smiled, "I'm gonna do the x-ray first,"

He put some gloves on, bringing over a machine and getting me to bite down. My heart threatened to burst out my chest, and I grabbed Calum's wrist as he sat back down.

"Do you need a minute?"

"Cal, I'm scared,"

"I know, I just want to take a look. You're gonna let me do my job yeah?"

I nodded and he laid the chair down, putting on a mask and turning on the light.

"Alright, you're okay,"

"I'm not,"

"Yes you are," he laughed, waiting as I opened my mouth, "good job,"

I fiddled with the ties of his hoodie as he looked round my mouth, gently pressing on a few different areas. He put something cold on my gums, and as he pressed on one tooth, I jumped and almost started crying.

"Hey, hey, Charlotte- shhhh," he sighed, "I'm gonna numb you okay?"

"Be gentle,"

"I will be, close your eyes for me,"

I obliged and felt him move back my cheek, a stinging sensation filling my mouth.

"You're doing so well," he said quietly, "I love you,"

I whined and he hummed, taking the needle out and rubbing my cheek.

"Tell me when that's set in,"

"How will I know?"

"You'll know,"

"Am I stupid?"

"Not at all, I'm proud that you got in that chair and have let me do what I need to do,"

"I think it's numb,"

"Are you sure?"

I nodded and opened my mouth again, not realising he'd checked it at all.

"Yeah, definitely ready," he laughed, "raise your hand it it's too much okay?"

I nodded and watched him grab the drill. Closing my eyes helped, so I did that and shoved my hands in the pocket of the jumper. I couldn't risk messing him up.

A horrible noise filled my head, and a weird sensation as he cleaned out the tooth. Not once did I open my eyes until the chair was sitting up.

"Well done, that will feel better,"

"Thankyou," I sniffed, climbing off the chair and hugging him. He kissed Yeah my cheek and rubbed my back for a few moments, breathing slowly for me to follow.

"Just tell me next time okay?"

"Can we go home?"

"Yeah, Duke's probably hungry,"