Dentist (Rosequeen365)

"Jessie! Dinner is ready!" dad called, making my go downstairs. Him and mum sat at the table, which looked empty now that Michael didn't live with us.

He had his own place, and his own job, but to be honest, that was all I knew. He became distant when it wasn't the holidays and he was home instead of working, which was why I was glad it was the holidays next week.

"What did you do today?"

"School,"

"What at school?" Mum scoffed, dad rolling his eyes.

"School stuff,"

We laughed and sighed, tired of school and work. As we ate, I felt a sharp pain in my mouth, but dismissed it because I wasn't about to ask to see a dentist. They were evil.

Instead, I ate on the other side.

"Could you help clear the table please?"

"Okay,"

"Just because you're off that damn phone for a minute,"- "dad, seriously,"

"Gosh Daryl, seriously," mum mimicked. I chuckled and shook my head, heading upstairs to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and right there was a huge crack in my tooth.

Great.

And would I tell anyone?

No.

It would heal on its own, just like a broken bone. It had to. I wasn't going to a dentist.

**

A week went by, and it definitely hadn't healed. It had gone a weird colour, it was throbbing, and there was a bump on my gum. My throat was sore and my cheek was swelling.

I had to tell mum otherwise they'd notice anyway.

I dragged myself to their room and knocked on the door, beckoning mum to the bathroom, before showing her my tooth.

"Jessie, sweetheart,"

"It hurts,"

"I bet it does. Let me call Michael,"

"Why Michael? To tell him the news,"

"To ask him to get you an appointment obviously,"

"What?"

"What?"

"He's a dentist?"

She creased her eyebrows and nodded.

"What did you think he was?"

"I dunno, not that! Don't call him,"

"Jessie, your cheek is like twice the size,"

She walked out the room on the phone and I looked in the mirror, starting to well up. I was ashamed, and frightened, and my stomach felt funny.

I also couldn't believe Michael hadn't told me.

"Come on, let's go,"

"Mum," I whined.

"Nope,"

I grabbed a hoodie and my shoes, putting them on before leaving the house with mum. We drove to a clinic I didn't even know existed, snd walked inside, Michael stood guiltily by the counter.

"Hey, munchkin,"

"Im 16,"

"I'll be out here," mum said, kissing my head, and Michael's cheek. He led me to an office where Calum was, making me more confused.

"You're a dentist too? I'm outta here,"

"Look, we should've said, I know you're afraid but... I didn't want to stop you seeing me as your brother, and instead see me as a fear,"

"Let me guess, Ash and Luke are dentists too," I grumbled.

"Correct," they said entering the room.

My stomach flipped and I edge towards Michael, who rubbing my shoulder.

"Mum said you cracked a tooth,"

"A week ago,"

"A week ago? Blimey, let me take a look. Ash and Luke can hold your hands,"

"I'm embarrassed,"

"You don't meed to be embarrassed, Cal and I are here for a reason,"

I shook my head, and started to cry, making him take me in his arms.

"It'll be okay. Whatever it is needs sorting though Jessie,"

"Okay,"

"So sit down, hold their hands,"

He kissed my head and them got gloves and a mask, while I sat down. He lowered the chair and put the light on, then I opened my mouth.

"Good job. You might feel a little pressure,"

I whimpered as he pressed on the tooth, putting something in the stopped my mouth closing.

"No," I whined, Ashton nor Luke letting go of my hand.

"Jessie, calm down your breathing. It's infected okay? So I'm going to take it out,"

"Please no,"

"It will get worse. I'm not leaving it,"

He swiped something on my gums and I looked up to Calum, who gently brushed my chin. Ashton drew small circles on my hand, and Luke was letting me squeeze his.

"Okay Jessie, I'm going to numb it. Close your eyes,"

"No,"

"Come on, that's it,"

I felt the sharp sting and choked out a sob, but then it was over, and it started to feel funny. I felt a ton of pressure being released and realised he must've drained the infection, and didn't know why we couldn't just stop.

I wanted to stop.

"You're doing so well Jessie,"

"Stop,"

"I'm almost done, count to ten for me,"

I did, and felt the tooth come out. Calum used the suction and then they stitched up, snd let me sit up.

"I sorry I never told you," Michael said, kissing my cheek and pulling me into a hug.

"I love you,"

"I love you too. Feeling better?"

"Much,"