Doctor (kristenherron)

The whistle blew, and we started. Straight away, just like that.

The US volleyball team needed you to be like that, of course, being the national representative. It was a big role, but one we all loved.

Easily, we were scoring point, the crowd cheering us on as the game grew more intense.

The crowds used to terrify me, but now it comforted me. This court was my home.

"Kristen!"

I got it.

"Kristen!"

I got it.

"Kristen!"

I... didn't get it. Well, I suppose I kind of got it, but as a wallop on my knee instead of a hit.

Staggering backwards, I fell to the floor. Agony.

My knee was swollen, everyone rushing to my side.

"Shi,"- "Luke is on his way,"

"No I need an ambulance," I said.

"He's sorting it out,"

"This hurts so bad,"

"Just stay calm," our coach said, someone bringing an ice pack to it.

"You have to play the game,"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, get me to the side and play," I stressed, my body being pulled off the court.

I iced my knee until the ambulance came, not seeing Luke in the crowd of people. I started to panic, and tear up.

"I want Luke,"

"We've got you, he's setting up an x-ray,"

"I'm gonna be sick,"

"Breathe through this mask," someone said, placing it across my mouth as the ambulance started to move.

It seemed like every pebble on the road jolted the van and hurt my knee. Every breath hurt my chest. Every blink hurt my eyes, every thought hurt my head.  

I'd messed up a huge game.

"Get her to radiology!"

"On it,"

Again, Luke wasn't there at the x-ray, and I was panicking. I was stressing. I was overwhelmed.

As we were walking through the hospital, the bed stopped abruptly.

"Kristen, it's Luke, when was the last time you ate?"

"Breakfast,"

"Good- well not good- but that works out for us,"

"Why?"

"I've looked at your scans and I think I'm going to have to do surgery,"

"No... Luke, please,"

He parked the bed and drew some curtains, grabbing a gown and starting to help me out the kit.

"It's okay," he soothed, kissing my cheek, "I'd never hurt you,"

"You might,"

"I'm your boyfriend,"

"Still,"

He shook his head and tied up my gown, starting to plait my hair instead of having it up.

"Please don't do this,"

"Kristen, I know you're in a lot of pain- honestly not sure how you aren't crying,"

I grabbed his hand and he intertwined our fingers, turning my head and kissing me. It was soft, but reassuring at the same time.

"I'm going to give you an IV, then in the theatre, I will give you another dose,"

"Who is doing it?"

"Me and the guys, but you'll only see me after,"

"Will I be okay?"

"You'll be perfectly fine," he said, wiping my hand, "I'm afraid you'll be out for a while though,"

"You'll help me recover?"

"Obviously," he smiled, his face getting fuzzy.

"Luke?"

"It's just the medicine," he assured, starting to move he bed again. I started to feel like I was floating, like I was up in the clouds.

I should've been on the court, though.

The theatre was cold, and I felt exposed, but another rush came through. I heard a "sleep tight" from Luke, and I was out.

**

"That's it, wakey wakey," Luke chuckled, rubbing my shoulders as I yawned.

"Ow," I groaned.

"It's okay, painkillers are coming soon,"

"Now," I pouted, opening my eyes.

"Not yet," he smiled, booping my nose. It was a gesture he did when he was being playful, and it brought he back a little.

"What if I pay you?"

"Then it will just go to our food shopping, and you'll get no more painkillers,"

"We could get Nutella,"

"And if you stop talking, I will buy you Nutella anyway. Just relax for me because you're way too awake,"

I yawned again and pursed my lips, feeling him peck them.

"Did it go okay?"

"Even better,"

"So it's all good?"

"Yes, its all good. Now go to sleep, or just lay there, because you have a lot of medicine in you,"