CHAPTER 9: Great Timing.....Not!!

MYSTIQUE

This is the first time I am eating in front of people. I try and avoid it at ALL costs so I can avoid any whispers or remarks of judgement. 

Something about him however, makes me feel comfortable enough to and mostly though, I'm starving and can't wait any longer to eat. 

Our order was ready within minutes and he began carrying the tray with our food and drinks towards the small round table I chose and was already sitting at. 

After setting it down, we started to eat and one of things I didn't want to happen but had a feeling it would, was happening. Awkward silence had joined our little date.....or whatever, 'dinner'. 

"So what do you think of the food?" He asks after swallowing the food in his mouth. 

"It's really good." I reply. 

Though in all honesty, the food was better than good. Hell, better than great even, it was AMAZING!!

"Good. See? I told ya!" He winks at me. 

"Yep." I reply before biting into some more of the burger. 

"So how was school today?" He asks me. 

I look up at him confused which that was random. 

"It was school." I shrugged. 

"You don't like school?" He chuckles. 

"No." I replied. 

"Yeah, it wasn't really my scene neither. I just always made sure I did good enough so that I was able to graduate and not repeat it." He says. 

"Yeah." That's my plan too." I tell him. 

"So, did you volunteer to help out my brother or were you forced?" He laughs. 

"Our teacher thought it'd be a good idea. In which I don't know why. I'm not the smartest person in the class." I say. 

"Smart enough or maybe cause you both are friends." He comments. 

"No we're not friends. I don't have too many of those." I say the last part under my breath before taking the last few bites of my food.

"Oh, cause I thought....." He began but I stopped him. 

"Why did you ask me to dinner tonight?" I interrupt him. 

Suddenly he becomes quiet and looks down at the table before back up at me again and answering. 

"Because I thought I'd thank you for helping out my brother." He admits. 

See Liona? This was NEVER a date! Although something about your crush turning you down still hurts a little. At least that's what I think about to myself. 

"Oh." Is all I say before sitting back and drinking my soda. 

"I didn't mean it as a bad thing." He says with a look of guilt on his face. 

"No. Don't worry, I didn't take it the wrong way." I try and assure him but things have just now become even more awkward than they were before. 

Not too much longer did we finally get up and he started taking me home. 

The minute he pulls up a few feet away from my house like I had  him do before, out of sight, I handed back his helmet and thanked him for tonight before turning around and heading towards my house but he stops me. 

"Wait a sec." He calls out and starts to walk up to me. "I had a really good time tonight." He tells me. 

"Yeah, it was fun." I say. 

"You know, I was thinking that even though I'm a few years older than you and everything, maybe we could do this again....." He began. 

I knew what he was about to say and it was a dream come true but came at the worse time and in the worst lifetime. At least that's what I began to think as reality, like always, steps in and quickly reminds me that I can't because of how badly things will get for me. Between my step sister Nora and his brother/my bully, Kent, yeah, this will NEVER be allowed. 

Not to mention from what I witnessed earlier with Kent and the guys he was talking to at school, he might hire them to kill me or something. I wouldn't doubt it. 

"I-I'm sorry, I have to go."  Was all I said before I ran inside the house, sprinted up the stairs, slammed my bedroom door behind me before plopping onto the bed, sobbing really hard. 

Fate, god, or whomever is responsible for this hell I am having to live in right now, why me? And why NOW in this moment and not another kind of lifetime did Benson have to come back into my life and then ask me out?!

Next while continuing to cry, I scream a couple of times into my pillow out of frustration. 

'This isn't forever! Things will get better!' I repeat to myself a few times. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)