CHAPTER 7: Wish I Had A Brother

MYSTIQUE

It's been a few nights since Benson gave me a ride home. Which was really thoughtful of him and I of course was real happy he did that.

Whenever I see him but especially when I'm as close to him as I was the other night, I want to just grab his face and kiss him and tell him how I've always had a crush on him and that his brother has been an asshole and now that he's back, he can be the one to rescue me.

Of course in reality, there's several issues with that. For one, I can never have the guts to say any of that. Another problem is I know he wouldn't believe me about his brother, not to mention the fact that I would be in more trouble with Kent.

Why does life have to be so complicated?!

Today while at school, I was minding my own business and looking down at the ground as I walked out towards the back of the school for lunch when I stop as soon as I overhear some talking going on with Kent and a few guys.

"You know the consequences if you go against Mordecai. He'll be here in a few weeks and if you plan to continue working for him and value yours and your girlfriend's pathetic little lives, you'll be sure to have the money by then or else." One of the guys says to Kent as he has Kent up against the wall.

Kent looks terrified and I never knew he had that type of emotion. In a way, despite that he makes me feel like that, I can't help but feel bad for him.

"Oh and don't forget, the job tonight. You still have that other debt you need to pay off." The guy tella him as he let's him fall to the ground and kicks him hard into the stomach.

The men that were there look a few years older than us and like they're part of a gang.

I quickly hide behind the corner as they start to walk away and don't ask me why I did what I was about to do because I still have no clue as to why.

I turn the corner after taking a deep breath and letting it out and start cautiously walking towards Kent who is now standing, but bent over a little as he tries to pull himself together quickly and fix his hair and wipe away any blood after he spits some out.

While wiping his face, he looks at me and I stop midway.

"What the fuck are you doing here you fat bitch?!" He glares at me.

The words stung a little but again, nothing I haven't heard before.

"I-I wanted to see if you were okay." I tell him.

"I'm fine. You didn't see shit." He says as he spits one last time. He then walks past me as he bumps my shoulder while passing me.

"I won't tell anybody, I swear." I tell him.

He stops and stands with his back to me still as he clenches his fists. Then he turns around and still scowls at me.

"You better not say shit or I swear I will make things worse for you. However, thanks." He says the last part through clenched teeth.

I just nod in agreement and avoid eye contact.

"I promise." I agree under my breath as he already starts walking away.

Maybe I should go to the authorities. Maybe I should tell Benson? He used to be part of that lifestyle, maybe he could talk to Kent.

Then again, maybe neither is a good idea and I forget about what I just saw. Besides, who would believe me anyways?

I spend the rest of lunch listening to music and eating my granola bar and bag of cheezits.

When school was over, I headed straight to work and while walking towards work, I saw both Ben and Max talking to each other while Ben looked pissed off.

Maybe he knows about Kent? No, he couldn't. Kent would never tell him. Oh well, I need to not care about them. That's their business anyways.

I began heading into work and was relieved like always as soon as I saw Liona helping a customer and smiling at me.

I headed in the back, put my name tag on and placed my backpack in my assigned employee locker and then walked back out and started to work.

It didn't take long before a customer had come in and I began to help them.

The rest of the night seemed to go by quicker mainly I think because we became so busy. Then as the last customer walked in, I noticed it was a guy and it's not that I judge because I've seen drag queens come in here and buy things, his 'bad boy' look and vibe he gave off didn't seem though that he was here to buy anything.

However, since Liona was in the back on her break and it was just me, I continued being the employee that I am.

"Hi, welcome to Curvalicious Designs. I'm Mystique, if you need anything, please let me know." I greet him with a smile and then start to walking away until he stops me.

"Wait." He says.

I turn and look at him. "Yeah?" I reply.

"I'm looking for something nice for my sister." He says.

"Okay." I continue and we start going over what she likes, her shape and size and start thinking this guy is a sweet brother. Wish I had one of those.

Next chapter will be posted! :)