Chapter Twenty Four: Dedicated Mission

*y/n's POV*

He's still not here.

We all sat at the conference table. Everyone. Every superhero I would've dreamt of meeting a year ago. Now they're here. But I can't reveal my identity.

We were each assigned a position in this mission but I was left out. Did Fury forget about me?

When he finished his speech, he stood up and rested his elbows on the back of his chair.

"And you, Futera." He gave me an intimidating glare. "You're sitting this one out."

Everyone turned their eyes towards me and I lowered the hood of the cloak. I'd self-cautiously slapped myself in the face for making a scene.

"Actually-" Fury waved his hand. "I think, if you don't mind, we could use your... Telepathicness... Future teller abilities."

I nodded in agreement. People began chatting with each other as they stood up and left the room to retrieve their weapons.

Only half of everyone had left when we were interrupted by Peter stumbling in the room with his mask on. "Guys, I'm sorry! Mr. Stark," he looked at Tony now. "I just had school and then I had to get Fabia's message and then I had to swing across-"

"Okay, kid," Tony said standing up. "Meetings over anyways."

"Wait!" He turned around to follow Tony as Tony walked past him. He pushed a button on his wrist and his mask folded down into the suit. "The meeting's over? But I just got here?"

"Yeah." He looked down plainly. "And now it's over."

Peter sulked.

I followed Nat out of the conference room but I caught Peters eyes on me during the process.

"Are you sure you're up for this mission?" Nat asked as she raised her foot on the other side of the bench I was sitting on, changing into tall black boots.

"I can pull it off..." I fiddled with the waist laces of the cloak. "I mean, my abilities have become weird lately. But yeah, I can make it work."

"You devote to this team is too much. You need to learn when to sit out."
"But Fury said-"
"I know what Fury said." She sighed.
"I can do this." I furrowed my brows. "You'd spend your last moments fighting with... Us? Why wouldn't you spend it with your family?"

I looked down. "They're dead."

"Oh," her voice altered. "All of them?" She gulped.

"Yes. My mom was an only child. My grandparents died naturally. My father..." My voice cracked. "Drug overdose."

"Y/n..." She said sadly. "I'm not a hugger, so let's just verbally hug."

I let out a light chuckle. "Don't pity me."

"Okay. I won't. But... I am sorry."

For what? What was I supposed to do? Say?

What'd you say? (4th wall breaker!!!)