Chapter Thirty Nine: Missed You

"I..." I remember killing myself mentally from being scared. Scared of something big. Like a secret. A secret so big that I couldn't tell anyone. But why couldn't I just tell someone? Get it off my back. Apparently I was too much of a coward. Or maybe there were consequences. "Nothing." I shrugged. "Secrets... I remember secrets."

"Your identity." Sam said as we walked into the entrance of the Stark Tower. "You were hiding your identity."

"But that would mean..." I thought about it in my head. I was too embarrassed to say it aloud.
That meant that I would've kept it inside. Away from my boyfriend. Away from Peter.

"Let's get her inside." I heard Tony's footsteps walk up on the other side of me.

     We walked through the door and went to the lobby. Tony must have waited until Sam became occupied because he took the moment to grab my shoulders and steer me aside. "Did you remember him?" He whispered as he led me down the hall

I sighed. "I remember secrets between us."
"Nothing else?"
I shook my head.
"So there wasn't any... mystical, bright light shining above you two when you made eye contact?" He raised a brow. "Like a, 'you're the one' moment?"

"No. I looked up and saw a guy in red and blue tights and a feminine voice. Nothing special." I scoffed. "But waw... my boyfriend's an Avenger. What if he sees me?"

"He already has."

Suddenly my attention was taken from Tony to the window where I saw a man in a suit identical to Tony's flying out to the blazing trees and spraying them with a water cannon that must've been equipped to the suit.

"Thanks Rhody." Tony said tapping on his ear piece.

We slowly began walking back to the group. "Y/n you have two options. You can either tell him straight up that he's a stranger to you, or you can keep the fact that you lost your memory of your love a secret."

"Another secret?"
"Another choice?"

I couldn't hide that kind of secret from him. What if he asks me something personal? Was I supposed to guess?
Keeping secrets. It was a familiar feeling. One that could rip my insides out again if I kept one more.

"I... I don't know. What if he goes off the rails again? I don't know what hes like."

I saw Tony look at me from the corner of my eye but I didnt want to know what was running through his mind.

We walked back down to them. Right now, I was willing to follow Tony wherever he was going. "Thank you Tony." I said.

"For what?"
I stopped and turned to him. "For being with me this whole time."

He stopped and avoided eye contact with me. "I owed it to you."

"Why?"
Now he looked at me. "Because you dedicated your life to this team and I've treated you like... well shit. It wasn't until the Aggarizer disease led you to the Exglavator Box and..." He stopped himself and pursed his lips. He was keeping me from something. "That I realized how much of a fighter you are."

"It took you that long?" I smiled.

The one side of his lip curved into a smile as if he were trying to resist it. "You've done a lot for us, Futera." He nodded and walked away.

Futera? I thought. Was that an insult? I stood in one place and scratched my forehead. There was a lot to catch up on.

"You know," someone whispered in my ear behind me. I turned around quickly with wide eyes. It was Steve Rogers. I smiled. "I wouldn't take compliments like that, from Tony lightly."

I looked at the millionaire walking confidently down the hall like he owned the place- literally. We trailed behind him slowly.

I looked off to the distance and it was as though scenes flashed before my eyes. It was as if I were in the same place, in the hall... But my eyes were deceiving me.

Tony was standing in front of me. Throwing things. There were pencils... and... a metal bar? He threw it at me. I watched as my image caught all the objects.
Left right right left. I told myself.

"You okay?" Steve asked resting a hand on my shoulder.

I turned to face him. "Of course."

I don't think he believed me but he gave me a light smile and continued walking.

"Hey Steve," I started.

"Yes?" He looked down at me.

"Can you tell me what happened?"
"What do you mean?"
"How did I end up like this?"

     "Well," Steve was about to continue before he stopped and looked over to a brunette guy standing beside Tony at the front desk. Talking to Tony happily while waving his arms with wide eyes. I had to take notice that his outfit was the same outfit that had been in front of me during the battle but this time, his mask was gone and he was left with the body suit.

This guy was Spiderman.

My boyfriend.

My heart skipped a beat when Tony turned to look at me and he did the same. Looking at me with beautiful hazel brown wide-eyes.

The brunette grinned a wide white smile, cheeks becoming rosy as if he were a school kid about to make his first move on a crush.

"Hey, y/n." He said shyly.
"Hey..."

"Hey, Peter!" Steve interfered. "Great job today."

I glanced up at Steve who shot me a quick glance, face full of what seemed like encouragement.

I hadn't realized until after Steve had made it clear. This was in fact, Peter standing in front of me. This was in fact, my boyfriend. Spiderman.

"Oh, thanks Steve." He looked at Steve with a smile.

I didn't realize how beautiful his eyes were until he looked away. I suddenly wanted to get swarmed in the beauty of them. When he looked back at me butterflies flew in my stomach.

"How-how are you?" He asked me with nothing but nervousness. It was though he hadn't hit puberty yet how high pitched his voice was.

"I'm great." I smiled the best I could.

I was starting to realize how tiring it was of saying "I'm great" or "I'm okay." Every time somebody asked me that question.

"Awe cute." Tony said looking between us.

I looked at him and gave him the look that said a million words the 'what the hell?' Look.

I glanced back at Peter who still had his full attention on me.

"Okay." Tony clasped his hands. "We still have unfinished business with the German freaks. Y/n, you can go with... I'll send a different agent to collect you shortly due to agent Agents absence."

I bowed my head in respect to the loyal soldier.

"You will meet Agent Romenov-"
"Meet up." Steve corrected smoothly.

I watched Tony's jaw clench. "Yes."

     I couldn't help but notice Peter's intense stare the entire time they were talking amongst themselves. It definitely was hard to believe that someone as scrony and young looking was my boyfriend- even Spiderman for that fact. He just didn't seem like the strong type.
Suddenly I had gotten so caught up with myself and thinking about Peter, that I hadn't known Tony and Steve parted ways and left Peter and I behind.

"So," I said rubbing my hands together nervously.

I watched as Peter stepped forward towards me and embraced me in his arms. I surrendered my self-conscious and allowed the warmth to wash over me. I rested my head in his chest.

He buried his head in my hair and I barely made out the mumbled words he spoke, "I really missed you, y/n."