Chapter Twenty Three: Night Was Ours

"And you don't know that man at ALL?" Peter asked pacing, flailing his arms.

"No." I leaned back onto the bed and threw a baseball up in the air and caught it... Over... And over... And over again. Hoping it'd clear my head.

"What's his problem then?"

I glared at the roof. "How should I know."

"You shouldn't. But it'd be helpful." I turned my head and caught him smirking to himself with his eyes on his desk. He knew I was looking at him.

"Oh really?"
"Just saying." He looked at me now.
"Okay, Spiderman. What's my mission?"
"Why do you need a mission?"
"Cause I wanna be 'helpful'"

He shook his head. "You know what I meant."

"Hmm" I went back to throwing the ball to myself. "You don't think I could handle a mission?"

He was silent for a moment which scared me. I turned my head. "Pete?" He'd been looking at the ground.

"Yeah, Sorry. Zoned out." He chuckled.

"Right. So." I continue my ball throin'. "I could handle a mission right?"

Suddenly my ball stopped in mid-air. Peter had held his hand above me with the ball in it. "You definitely could. Of course," he sat at my feet and leaned back on his bed frame throwing the ball himself. "With me as your guide."

"Yes, of course." I giggled. "Spiderboy."

He looked at me with worrying eyes for a second before he let out an awkward chuckle.

"What's on your mind?" I asked.
"Oh, just zoned out again. Tired is all."
"Hmmh. Did that car dint your brain? I'm your best fr-" I stopped myself and smiled. "I'm your girlfriend. I know when your lying." I winked.

He gave me a light smile. "I know you do. I'm just worried about you."
"Why's that?" I asked intensely scared.
"Because... You're just acting weird."
"I-"
"It's okay." He interrupted, waving his hand which I was happy for because I really didn't have an untruthful explanation. "It's all going to be okay." He reached forward and "booped" me on the nose.

I smiled. But not a real one. A cautious smile. "Yes. It is." I lied.

He leaned forward over the top of my legs and reached for my lips. His thumb brushed against it before he pulled me in for a passionate kiss. I cupped his cheek with both my hands and gave what was given.

He leaned so his back was against the wall, leaning on his side. I turned my body so I was facing him and rested my hand on his chest. We sat still. Forehead on the forehead. It was perfect.

But even still... I can't let go. No matter how much I wanted him to be pain-free... I needed him.

I gazed at his face but his rejection of my eyes pained me. His eyes were strictly on the mattress below him. I turned and lay flat on my back.

Staring at the roof above wasn't the worse part. It was silence.

Suddenly the bed shifted slightly and Peter's face came to view. "What's on your mind?" He asked.

I half-smiled. "Oh, uh, I just zoned out. Tired and all." I mocked but more insulting.

He smiled. "You and me both."

"Yeah..." I trailed off.

I scanned over his face again. He was flawless. The way his hair draped over his forehead. The way his jaw lined perfectly with his beautiful lips. His hazel eyes glimmered in the light.